Post by chrisdski »

2012 4004 Ruby.
Attachments
image.jpg
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Re: Odd Cracked & Flaking paint 2011 4003

Post by aceonbass »

Chris, is that peeling up around the tuner post? Looks like Ruby paint isn't sticking either. This seems to be a solid color problem. Have you contacted RIC about warrantying this?
chrisdski
Intermediate Member

Post by chrisdski »

Yes, around the post (3 in fact). I did contact Ric and they said they would cover it since it's within the year. They thought it was do to the strings I'm using (chromes). :?
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

They seriously blamed this on the strings you're using? I thought that excuse got buried when the truss rod design changed.
geddeeee
Intermediate Member

Post by geddeeee »

I think it's the UV curing... Don't think it has been tested, at all!!!

On my Jetglo, the paint seems to be really, really thin. Hardly a finish on it all. As I pointed out, on the back of the body I can see ridges in the paint and where the neck is glued in. I reckon I could peel the paint of in strips.

I don't think the UV method makes the paint stick to the wood. The problems have only arisen since they switched from CV...

Just a thought, as I'm no expert.

So now we only can use the lowest tension flatwound strings?? Give me a break. Seems to be excuse after excuse from RIC. Strings, rough bridges... That's lame!!! What next? We can't use our basses outside of a certain temperature range????

I paid £1800 for my 4003, and I expect a higher level of customer service, or at least the truth....

Yes, I'm annoyed!!! Not just for me, but for all the other guys with the same paint problem... Pathetic!!!!!
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

Mark, I tend to agree with most of your points, but the witness lines you see in the finish are pretty standard, and have no bearing on the thickness of the finish. I had a 4004L MID who's finish actually DID peel off in strips! I'm about to strip the finish off of my 2010 4003MID via scraping and then sanding, so I'm gonna find out just how thick it is. I've done this to a few RIC basses over the years, and it's always been fairly difficult to get the through the clear coat. Once you get to the color, it goes pretty fast. The finish has dulled and shows every mark, and the clear is peeling off of the binding by the output jack.
ken_j
RRF Consultant

Post by ken_j »

geddeeee wrote: ...I don't think the UV method makes the paint stick to the wood. The problems have only arisen since they switched from CV...
As I wrote earlier in my thread my early '90s 4001V63 did this. I doubt that it is the UV. Also when I mentenioned that I thought it may have been caused by the tailpiece being overtightened I would only have myself to blame as I had it off at one time. On the otherhand the bridge mounts and is screwed to two different height levels. Considering all the variables, including different coefficencies in materials and the thickness of the finish, it may be possible to easily overtighten the tailpiece and end up with these results. The clamp load may change from changes in temp and humidity.
The finish issue with the Ruby 4004 shown may have been caused by overtightening the tuner bushing. As I look at that picture it appears to me that the TRC is cracked from the screw hole to the end.
"The best things in life aren't things."
Badanovski

Post by Badanovski »

I have a 2009 Jetglo 4004cii. It had a little red pin spot near the jack. I thought it was fuzz from my strings stuck to the finish. I scraped with my fingernail & it got bigger. Ooops. The jetglo is really thin. Don't know how thin the red stuff underneath is.
geddeeee
Intermediate Member

Post by geddeeee »

I appreciate that there may be certain 'variables' when it comes to this, but we aren't talking about a cheap £300 bass here.

This is the pinnacle of bass guitars, people. For nearly £2000, I would expect that I could do more than just look at it. Despite all the reasons stated, I'm still not happy about this. This is not an isolated incident.

I've written to John Hall directly about these issues. Will something be done? I doubt it, but at least I know that I stood up and said my piece. Let's stop making excuses for shoddy workmanship from RIC, because this sort of thing is unacceptable!!!

I always though 'Made In U.S.A.' was supposed to be a mark of quality... Now I'm not so sure...

I will still play my 4003, because it's a joy to play, and the only bass I own, but next time I will look to other manufacturers for a new instrument!!!

Cheers....
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

Ken, that truss rod cover isn't cracked from over tightening. What you see is in the casting, as I've seen this before. Over tightening shouldn't cause these issues. A dent in the finish, sure, but not ripping up and separating like a rug on a hardwood floor. This is some kind of adhesion issue, coupled with a brittleness in the finish. I've bought two NEW Rickenbacker basses in the last three years that have done this. My 2010 4004Cii is fireglo, and hasn't had any issues with the finish at all.
cassius987

Post by cassius987 »

I seriously doubt the new finish and its UV curing process is the sole cause of this as some have suggested. This sort of thing has been happening since the early days of electric guitars. But I also strongly doubt the strings play any role in what's happening around Chris's tuners...

Apparently there's still quite an art to properly applying a finish so that the layers really "stick" to each other and to the wood... if you go too slow I guess they can separate later. So it doesn't make sense to me to blame the formula alone, there's also the fact that there is still a high level of craftsmanship involved and it is possible to get it wrong sometimes. Sounds like RIC is willing to take care of those affected (as usual) which is good to hear.
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

cassius987 wrote: Sounds like RIC is willing to take care of those affected (as usual) which is good to hear.
Not everyone Joshua :cry:
cassius987

Post by cassius987 »

Sorry to hear that Dane.
nov_1981

Post by nov_1981 »

Well it looks like I'm not the only one with this problem :(
My 2012 Ruby Laredo has had nothing but finish issues since purchasing it back in April of 2012.
Ive had to send it back to Ric 3 TIMES at my expense. The first issue I discovered shortly after bringing it home. I noticed that there was a small area on the upper horn where the clear coating seemed to have cracked or worn away. I contacted Ric about sending it back and was told that it was doubtful that the bass could have left the factory with the issue I described but was given a RA # and away it went. About a month and a half later the bass arrived and all seemed well for a few weeks until the day I discovered the same type of peeling and cracking that Chris's bass showed. Being very disappointed I contacted Ric again and was given no explanation as to why this could have happened. Nothing about strings or sharp metal edges or anything. After pleading my case for a break on having to ship it back again I was told no dice and again would have to pay. So away it went for the second time. After about another month and a half had gone by the bass arrived and after waiting the standard 48 hrs I opened her up and there it was with the same cracking and peeling around the tuners although this time not quite as bad but still the cracking was there. At this point I was down right heart broken, I felt like I was totally being screwed around with... After taking a few days to think about whether or not I wanted to go through the trouble of shipping it back I contacted Ric yet again and after almost begging them to give me a break with shipping cost I was told the same policy story and that there would be no break. After close to $250 for shipping cost and the pain in the neck of packing and shipping the finish seems to be stable for the time being but all and all its been a pretty ****** experience.

Ive been here mostly lurking with some posting since 2007 and have found this forum to be a great source for Rickenbacker knowledge. I realize that this is a place to celebrate all things Ric and I dont want to come off as someone who has an axe to grind with Ric. Ive owned over 10 Rics since 1981 including 4 new Ric basses since 2007 and have never had an issue until this and although I will continue to love Ric basses Im pretty down on Ric about the way things got handled and will be sticking to the vintage market for the foreseeable future..

Rant over
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

Robert, I hope you don't have any more reason to ship that bass back to RIC again, but in the future, ship via USPS Parcel Post. I've shipped basses all the way to LA (1500 miles) fully insured for less than $50.00. UPS and Fed-X charge a lot more.

Return to “"Vibrola" Rickenbacker Technical Forum: By Paul Wilczynski”