4002 pickguard repair advice

Setup, repair and restoration of Rickenbacker Instruments

Moderator: jingle_jangle

Kopfjaeger
Advanced Member

4002 pickguard repair advice

Post by Kopfjaeger »

Guys,

I'd like to try to re-use the layered pickguard that came on my 4002. It is in really good condition aside the few chips at the screw holes. My other 4002, sports a reproduction pickguard, and while it's nice, it's not as rigid as the original.

I remember reading somewhere that the original 4002 pickguards were made of bakelite, or at least partially made of bakelite. I was thinking of using epoxy to fill the areas that are missing but I'd need a white epoxy as well as a black. If the guard is indeed made of bakelite, I'm not sure if epoxy would be the best route.

It's my intention to not have this bass be a "case queen". I intend to play it and gig it regularly. Dane did a wonderful job at recreating a harness for her using modern/non stock electronics that meet and or exceed what was originally in the circuits. This bass will be completely restored and while I do want her to be identically looking to stock, a few mods here and there are perfectly acceptable.

So, any suggestions as to what to use to make durable repairs to these areas??

Sepp
1b.jpg
1a.jpg
Vintage/Classic Rickenbacker Enthusiast!
1972 4001 Jetglo
1973 4001 Burgundyglo
2011 4003 Jetglo
1986 4003 Shadow
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Re: 4002 pickguard repair advice

Post by aceonbass »

You did get the email I sent about restoring that while It was here didn't you?
Kopfjaeger
Advanced Member

Post by Kopfjaeger »

Dane,

While switching ISP's, I found I was not sending emails. They were going right to drafts so maybe I was not receiving them either. What were your ideas?

Sepp
1972 4001 Jetglo
1973 4001 Burgundyglo
2011 4003 Jetglo
1986 4003 Shadow
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

I Would have used jewelers putty to repair the missing chunks. The stuff dries hard, after which I would have sanded the whole face of the guard smooth (after filling the drivers license number scratched into it too) and shot it glossy black. Then sanded off the beveled edges to expose the 5-plys again.
Kopfjaeger
Advanced Member

Post by Kopfjaeger »

Dane, thanks for chiming in on this. I would have thought I would have had several different ideas posted on this thread. Jewelers putty? Really? I never would have thought of that. You think it will adhere to the guard? Dane, what is your take on the material? Plastic or bakelite? I remember someone saying they were bakelite but for the life of me I can't remember where I saw that. I guess I'm being too critical on matching the lamination's with white and black. While it would be cool, it will be hard to notice if the fills were black.

The material will need to be very tough since the screw will be exerting a bit of pressure on a relatively small section.

The "problem" with the aftermarket guard is that on the top edge, there is quite a span where there are no screws. The guard on Dave's former 4002, there is a bit of a gap between the bass and the back of the guard in this area. No one but me, or the person playing it will notice it bit it kinda bugs me a little. I think the new guard is a bit more flexible than the original and this flex creates the gap. Since this guard is very usable, I'm all for trying to repair it. It's not a "money" issue but it certainly seems the original material exceeds the reproduction.

Sepp
1972 4001 Jetglo
1973 4001 Burgundyglo
2011 4003 Jetglo
1986 4003 Shadow
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

Just so you know, Bakelite is a plastic. I don't know about 4002 guards, but most of the others have been made from acrylic (Plexiglas is a brand of acrylic).

I've heard that Tony at Pickguardian can get a material that's almost an exact match, but I don't know if it's close enough to not have the issue you talk about. Do you know if the "aftermarket" one you mentioned is from him?
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
Kopfjaeger
Advanced Member

Post by Kopfjaeger »

CJ,

Yes, thanks. :D I was aware that bakelite is a form of plastic but was careful in using the term bakelite since that is what i remember hearing the original guards were made of. i was not certain that epoxy or resins would adhere to it like common non organic material plastics.

I was told that the former Dave Pasco 4002 has a Pickguardian pickguard on it. It is nice but is seems a bit less rigid than the original, which causes me to believe the original is bakelite. The thickness seems to be very close if not identical.

I'm in a pretty good position here. if I can save this pickguard and use it, I win, if I can't and have to "settle" for a reproduction, it's not a bad second choice!! Finding the correct "medium" to bond to the chipped areas and have it last is what has me stumped.

In my dreams there is a minty original 4002 pickguard just collecting dust at RIC HQ. It's right there, next to the NOS/spare 4002 pups! :D

Sepp
1972 4001 Jetglo
1973 4001 Burgundyglo
2011 4003 Jetglo
1986 4003 Shadow
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

Sepp....I'm pretty sure there are no more NOS 4002 pickups left at RIC as JH indicated the two bridge pickups RIC put on Ebay a few years ago were the last. You should give them a call to see if they might have an extra guard though. As far as what I think they're made from....before I saw yours I had always thought they were ABS, but yours was way stiffer than that. It was almost like laminated plexiglass or something. Because the damaged areas had some texture to them, I thought that jewelers putty was a good choice since it dries hard and takes paint well, and is available in white and black. I think it's repairable, but before I'd have one made out of the current stuff, which I think is ABS, I'd have one made out of black acrylic with a sharp bevel on the side painted white. At least acrylic doesn't warp like ABS.
Kopfjaeger
Advanced Member

Post by Kopfjaeger »

Dane,

I can dream, right?? :lol: I can just picture my call to RIC. "Hello, how's it going today? You you guys have any NOS/spare pickguards for a 4002 laying around???" CLICK!! "Hello? Hello??? I think they hung up on me!!" :lol:

Here's an idea, how about I buy a reproduction, send it to RIC and have them swap it out for the guard on the 4002 hanging in the "museum"?? Why not? It's not like anyone would be able to tell. :D

Mr. Hall, can you "hook me up"??? Please??? :D

Sepp
1972 4001 Jetglo
1973 4001 Burgundyglo
2011 4003 Jetglo
1986 4003 Shadow
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

Sepp....You'd be surprised what a call to RIC can get you :wink:
Kopfjaeger
Advanced Member

Post by Kopfjaeger »

Just called and spoke to Brendon, RIC can't help. At least he did not hang up on me!! He offered me Pickguardian's website. I was half thinking of explaining my plan of the swap but I figured I should quit while I'm ahead. It was worth a try, though!

Sepp
1972 4001 Jetglo
1973 4001 Burgundyglo
2011 4003 Jetglo
1986 4003 Shadow
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

The only thing I've heard they have are some 4002 body wings. I do seem to recall JH mentioning one time that they couldn't make another 4002 because they didn't have any more ebony large enough, they didn't have any more pickups and they didn't have any more of the pickguard material...

Edit: Oh, I guess you found that out...
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

If there is any bakelite in the guard, to me it looks like the middle layer.
Kopfjaeger
Advanced Member

Post by Kopfjaeger »

johnallg wrote:If there is any bakelite in the guard, to me it looks like the middle layer.
John, why is that? Because of the fibrous texture? I know certain bakelite contains wood fiber. I have a few 40's era bakelite pieces and the chunks of wood are quite noticeable. From what I understand bakelite can be brittle and by the way the top layer chipped, it appears it was quite brittle.

I think there is a test method using simichrome but I don't have any here to see if it is bakelite.

Sepp
1972 4001 Jetglo
1973 4001 Burgundyglo
2011 4003 Jetglo
1986 4003 Shadow
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

Kopfjaeger wrote:
johnallg wrote:If there is any bakelite in the guard, to me it looks like the middle layer.
John, why is that? Because of the fibrous texture? I know certain bakelite contains wood fiber. I have a few 40's era bakelite pieces and the chunks of wood are quite noticeable. From what I understand bakelite can be brittle and by the way the top layer chipped, it appears it was quite brittle.

I think there is a test method using simichrome but I don't have any here to see if it is bakelite.

Sepp
I based that on color and texture. Looks like raw bakelite to me; not the shiny finish like old instrument or radio cases had.

Return to “"Vibrola" Rickenbacker Technical Forum: By Paul Wilczynski”