Skunk stripe question

Setup, repair and restoration of Rickenbacker Instruments

Moderator: jingle_jangle

basshead
RRF Consultant

Skunk stripe question

Post by basshead »

Was the shedua wood stained before it was sandwiched between the maple on the neck? I bought a small piece of shedua to make some repair plugs but the piece I have is quite a bit lighter than the original skunk stripe. There's an area in the bridge route that's been chopped up and the bare timber exposed so I know I'm not looking through colour or clear and it's still darker than the piece I bought... :?:
E = Fb
Bass player's theory of relativity...
johnhall
RIC

Re: Skunk stripe question

Post by johnhall »

No.
basshead
RRF Consultant

Post by basshead »

Ok, thanks John. Is there any chance I could buy a small scrap piece from Rickenbacker please?
E = Fb
johnhall
RIC

Post by johnhall »

basshead wrote:Ok, thanks John. Is there any chance I could buy a small scrap piece from Rickenbacker please?
We haven't used in Shedua in years, sorry! By the way, the dust from sanding or cutting Shedua really irritates some people so you'll want to wear a mask when working with it. It also turns green when cut on a table saw but reverts to a nice brown in an hour or so.
basshead
RRF Consultant

Post by basshead »

Thanks for the heads up on the irritation mate, I'll keep that in mind. Lol, I was hoping you might have had some Shedua lying around.
E = Fb
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

johnhall wrote:
basshead wrote:Ok, thanks John. Is there any chance I could buy a small scrap piece from Rickenbacker please?
We haven't used in Shedua in years, sorry! By the way, the dust from sanding or cutting Shedua really irritates some people so you'll want to wear a mask when working with it. It also turns green when cut on a table saw but reverts to a nice brown in an hour or so.
Strange. It would be cool to see. :)

Return to “"Vibrola" Rickenbacker Technical Forum: By Paul Wilczynski”