Hello...Newbie with a 360 Resto project!!

Setup, repair and restoration of Rickenbacker Instruments

Moderator: jingle_jangle

godber
Advanced Member

Re: Hello...Newbie with a 360 Resto project!!

Post by godber »

Foxless wrote:Hi Godber! Thanks for the feedback, appreciated! I wasn't going to do the headstock binding until I realised how much checkerboard I had, so it was a bit of a last minute decision...and more than slightly nerve-racking! With that in mind, I will probably go ahead with the full width markers; fortune favours the brave so I'm led to believe!

Nice avatar by the way...inner sleeve of Sound Affects if I'm not mistaken! :wink:
Go for it, good for you!

The avatar pic is from The Face magazine (No:1 May 1980...page 27!). Pretty cool shot and from around the time Sound Affects was recorded, but it's a different one from the sleeve on my LP :D

electrofaro

Post by electrofaro »

Awfully late to this thread, but must say, after checking out all the pictures - looking forward how this will progress to a finalised item! :D
'67 Fender Coronado II CAB * '17 1963 ES-335 PB * currently rickless
Foxless

Post by Foxless »

Hi guys, made a bit of progress this week...had to make up some cement with acetone and celluloid scraps (white Fender picks!!), and I've managed to get the checkerboard fixed to the body. Just waiting for a consignment of white celluloid binding to arrive, then I can finish off the body!

http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/16807161@N03/8488680207/
Dom

Post by Dom »

Looks great Mark, fine job on the headstock! What is the plan for the holes on the front by the pickups?
Foxless

Post by Foxless »

Thanks Dom! The holes have been put there by the previous owner who installed a Roland Midi pickup to the guitar (I know, unbelievable eh?)...I'm going to have to plug them with maple... fortunately, I have a lump of maple that is exactly the right shade, I don't want to have the plugs too big though, so I'm going to make a cutter specifically for the job (1/16")...hopefully this will do the trick! If anyone has any other suggestions, I'm all ears!
Mark
Dom

Post by Dom »

Ouch! Sounds like the right way to go about it. I had a midi pickup on one of mine for years...stuck it to the bridge & R with double sided foam tape. Worked very well and 100% reversible.
Foxless

Post by Foxless »

If only the previous owner of this guitar had thought about using double sided tape, it'd have saved me a heap of trouble, but never mind... :?

Acquired a mint plexi TRC today to replace the original raised letter TRC...a good day's work in itself!! :D

Return to “"Vibrola" Rickenbacker Technical Forum: By Paul Wilczynski”