Hollow body 4001

Setup, repair and restoration of Rickenbacker Instruments

Moderator: jingle_jangle

Would a 4001 lend itself to becoming a hollow body?

Poll ended at Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:14 pm

Hell yeah, that'd be awesome!
28%
Don't be so stupid, leave the damn thing alone.
72%

Total votes: 18

Seans
Intermediate Member

Re: Hollow body 4001

Post by Seans »

basshead wrote:
Seans wrote:More room with a 4004?
I wouldn't think so. Aren't the bodies the same shape, except for basically the binding?
Yes, but I mean space on the body, like the small pickups especially the treble.
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

I would do this without the standard 4000 series guard. First I'd make a maple block to fill the neck pickup route, as it already weakens the neck area. Next, I'd mill 1/4" off of the front. Then another 1/4" off of the back. Then route the body wings out and certain areas down the center section, being careful to stay away from the body/wing joints. Next, a 1/4" cap of book matched, quilted maple would go on top. This would be routed for a neck pickup mounted like a 4004's, and the standard bridge pickup and tailpiece routes. Controls would be mounted to a 4005 style guard. I'd do a book matched quilted back 1/4" thick. The sound hole would be the 5 1/2" X 1 1/2" hole routed for the bridge pickup. The bass would be double bound to hide the seams for the front and rear body caps.
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

aceonbass wrote:I would do this without the standard 4000 series guard. First I'd make a maple block to fill the neck pickup route, as it already weakens the neck area. Next, I'd mill 1/4" off of the front. Then another 1/4" off of the back. Then route the body wings out and certain areas down the center section, being careful to stay away from the body/wing joints. Next, a 1/4" cap of book matched, quilted maple would go on top. This would be routed for a neck pickup mounted like a 4004's, and the standard bridge pickup and tailpiece routes. Controls would be mounted to a 4005 style guard. I'd do a book matched quilted back 1/4" thick. The sound hole would be the 5 1/2" X 1 1/2" hole routed for the bridge pickup. The bass would be double bound to hide the seams for the front and rear body caps.
Now, that sounds interesting...
8) 8) 8)
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
T.A.R.
Intermediate Member

Post by T.A.R. »

aceonbass wrote:I would do this without the standard 4000 series guard. First I'd make a maple block to fill the neck pickup route, as it already weakens the neck area. Next, I'd mill 1/4" off of the front. Then another 1/4" off of the back. Then route the body wings out and certain areas down the center section, being careful to stay away from the body/wing joints. Next, a 1/4" cap of book matched, quilted maple would go on top. This would be routed for a neck pickup mounted like a 4004's, and the standard bridge pickup and tailpiece routes. Controls would be mounted to a 4005 style guard. I'd do a book matched quilted back 1/4" thick. The sound hole would be the 5 1/2" X 1 1/2" hole routed for the bridge pickup. The bass would be double bound to hide the seams for the front and rear body caps.
I like that idea! 8)
basshead
RRF Consultant

Post by basshead »

johnallg wrote:Wim, hollowing out a 4001/3 style has possibilities, but for me the slash soundhole and the shape of the body (lines and curves) just don't fit for me aesthetically.
Any better?
4001-5b.jpg
4001-5a.jpg
That would no doubt look great, but I don't think I'll go that much effort, lol.
E = Fb
Bass player's theory of relativity...
wim
Intermediate Member

Post by wim »

I agree on the slash soundhole being not too compatible with the 4000 series contours.
An f hole would make it even worse.
It could do without soundhole, but then that would beat the purpose of showing off it's hollowedness off course.
A 4004 would be a better instrument to convert I think.
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

A 4004 is way to rounded and contoured to work with this idea....unless of course it's a 4004LK.
Seans
Intermediate Member

Post by Seans »

A 360 or 370 is rounded and they look pretty good.
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

Yes, but the problem is the rear of the instrument. The curves round under too far. Transitioning from this to a square edged cap would be awkward looking. 360's are already made with a flat back to begin with. If you've ever had a 4004 in your hands, you'd know what I mean.
cassius987

Post by cassius987 »

A lot of work for not much return I suspect, unless you're really into the aesthetics.
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

Aesthetics are a big pat of why people here like RICs to begin with. Besides looking pretty cool, a bass like this would definitely be a bit lighter, and sound different based on it's semi-hollow body characteristics. Another idea for a sound hole would be some kind of carving going all the way through the top of the body wings in the same areas as the carving on a 4004LK. This could be along the lines of his oak leaf carving, or even something based on artwork by Roger Dean. This would probably work best without the 4003 bridge pickup surround, or pickguard.
GIBrat51

Post by GIBrat51 »

It is an interesting idea, and of course a person can do just about anything, given enough time and money. What bothers me,though, is that for some reason the whole idea keeps making me think about the insides of my Danelectro DC bass. I don't know why, other than the thinness, and the way the wooden part of the body is essentially just a ring. An interesting concept; will have to get my sketchpad out... :)
daveman

Post by daveman »

I don"t wan't to be a downer, but: let's keep it easy, no, it's just not right.
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

daveman wrote:I don"t wan't to be a downer, but: let's keep it easy, no, it's just not right.
:?: :? :?:
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

WRT the sound hole, flipping the "slash" sound hole upside down is the right idea, but the sound hole needs to be smaller, and the front end cut doesn't work; I suggest you shring the sound hole dimensions slighlty (smaller body, smaller sound hold), and flip just the front end cut of the sound hole cut/shape back to the way it looks right side up, and sharpen the angle slightly to complement the shape angle of the top body horn; if you do those two things, I think you'll have a sound hole that works with the body shape. :D
There is no reason to ever be bored.

...why yes, I suppose I do have a double bound guitar fetish...

"Uh, I like the double bounds. . . ."

Return to “"Vibrola" Rickenbacker Technical Forum: By Paul Wilczynski”