360/12 Neck Issue

Setup, repair and restoration of Rickenbacker Instruments

Moderator: jingle_jangle

bowser2533

360/12 Neck Issue

Post by bowser2533 »

Had this guitar for over a year now and I find myself adjusting the neck every month or so to keep it straight. Something has to be moving. Took the trc off monday and noticed that that steel plate behind the nut where the adjusting nuts tighten against, is pulled in on the high side it is not sitting parallel to the nut. I really do think this is the problem with that neck. Any suggestions on a fix? Thanks Gary. Also it is the treble side thats the problem.
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Re: 360/12 Neck Issue

Post by johnallg »

Pictures will really help here. It could be as easy as things just progressing in wrongful adjustment, needing to start fresh and get the rods balanced again. Pictures will help a lot.
teb
Advanced Member

Re: 360/12 Neck Issue

Post by teb »

Sometimes the steel plate will actually dig into the wood from the tension. One fix is to replace the plate with a fitted metal block, which was apparently the way it was done back in the old days. I had Mark Arnquist make and install one of these when he worked on one of my twelves. It's aluminum and wouldn't be particularly hard for anybody to build. I haven't needed to touch my truss rods in more than five years, and that was just a small 1/4 turn tweak when I changed string types.
Attachments
Step 020 copy.jpg
step 021 copy.jpg

Return to “"Vibrola" Rickenbacker Technical Forum: By Paul Wilczynski”