My 1st post: A Bigsby on my 350v63--HOW?

Setup, repair and restoration of Rickenbacker Instruments

Moderator: jingle_jangle

kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Re: My 1st post: A Bigsby on my 350v63--HOW?

Post by kiramdear »

Speaking of cool Bigsby mods, I like the one that Paul W. likes to do - namely, he removes the tab, or lug with the screw hole that is nearest the bridge, and then drills underneath the spring, thus hiding that forward screw and giving a cleaner footprint to the B5. 8)
All I wanna do is rock!
Grey
Advanced Member

Post by Grey »

kiramdear wrote:Speaking of cool Bigsby mods, I like the one that Paul W. likes to do - namely, he removes the tab, or lug with the screw hole that is nearest the bridge, and then drills underneath the spring, thus hiding that forward screw and giving a cleaner footprint to the B5. 8)
Yes yes yes. Aesthetically it works so much better on Rickenbacker guitars with ramps. I don't really mind that little tab so much on other instruments like an SG, but it really bothers me on Ricks.
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

Grey wrote:Is it really a 'problem'? It takes a few extra seconds, i've never had any problem with those little posts on the bigsby and i've never had to use any tools to do it, either. If you can restring a guitar then you can setup a bigsby.
I'm with you, Erik, IIRC I actually find the pins to be useful when restringing a guitar with a Bigsby, and like you, I don't use any special tools. 8) .
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

doctorwho wrote:
Grey wrote:Is it really a 'problem'? It takes a few extra seconds, i've never had any problem with those little posts on the bigsby and i've never had to use any tools to do it, either. If you can restring a guitar then you can setup a bigsby.
I'm with you, Erik, IIRC I actually find the pins to be useful when restringing a guitar with a Bigsby, and like you, I don't use any special tools. 8) .
Yes, I'm with you fellows on this.
All I wanna do is rock!
pannyparwar

Post by pannyparwar »

I'm tickled pink for all of you who have no problem stringing a Bigsby.

But for the rest of us, we DO have a problem stringing a Bigsby, i.e., those of us who go to the trouble and expense of boring holes through this contraption or who buy a "quick fix" product (for $40.00) that is specifically designed to capitalize on the huge demand to address this frustrating problem.

Also, for those of us who play live, an extra few minutes is a luxury we don't have when a string breaks. But whether or not a performance is live or sitting at home by the fire, if a task requires more time to complete than it should, and a solution is at hand, then I'm all for it!
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

Here's two videos that show the easiest way for stringing for a Bigsby-equipped guitar.

Works for me.
Grey
Advanced Member

Post by Grey »

My father uses the capo method, I just hold it with my thumb and it works the same.
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

Po-TA-toe, po-TAH-toe, whats it matter? Enjoy your Bigsbys.... :)
Clifton

Post by Clifton »

I can kind of see both points of view regarding the difficulty of stringing up a Bigsby (of any kind). If Andy is taking off all of the strings when putting on a new set, it can very frustrating to do--although not as bad as restringing an "R" 12-string tailpiece!

It wasn't until I saw the suggestion (on this forum) to replace the strings one at a time that it became a lot easier. Having the other strings keep constant tension on the Bigsby makes it so much easier. Then, all that's needed is a little bend of the ball end to keep it on the mounting pegs. But I must admit, drilling through the bar is an elegant solution.
Spanky(Andy)

Post by Spanky(Andy) »

kiramdear wrote:Speaking of cool Bigsby mods, I like the one that Paul W. likes to do - namely, he removes the tab, or lug with the screw hole that is nearest the bridge, and then drills underneath the spring, thus hiding that forward screw and giving a cleaner footprint to the B5. 8)

Sorry for the dumb question. Are there any pics of this mod?

Andy
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

I do the pinch bend on the ball end also; it works great. This also works great for restringing the "R" tailpiece-it's easier to hook the string into the underside slot; I use the capo for restringing a Rick 12 (or any Rick) with the "R" tailpiece, but haven't felt the need to with the Bigsby.
There is no reason to ever be bored.

...why yes, I suppose I do have a double bound guitar fetish...

"Uh, I like the double bounds. . . ."
vjf1968

Post by vjf1968 »

Getting back to the original question. Has anybody tried a Vibramate kit so the installation would be reversible?

http://www.vibramate.com/index.php
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

Spanky(Andy) wrote:

Sorry for the dumb question. Are there any pics of this mod?

Andy
Sorry, I can't remember exactly, but if you search through Paul's section and the "Projects Nearing Completion" thread in particular you may get lucky. I wish I could be more helpful. :)
All I wanna do is rock!

Return to “"Vibrola" Rickenbacker Technical Forum: By Paul Wilczynski”