Torres super mid range tone control in a 350

Setup, repair and restoration of Rickenbacker Instruments

Moderator: jingle_jangle

Dom

Torres super mid range tone control in a 350

Post by Dom »

I just built a Dan Torres designed super mid range tone control today & stuck it in my Red '87 350. I'd been getting great sounds out of the bridge pickup but the neck mid combo was always muddy & dark no matter what I did. I replaced the neck mid tone knob with the mid range control. There were two GIANT orange drop .047 spragues in there. It looked like my guitar had kidneys.

I had been researching tone circuits for some time. I Built a varitone in a stompbox to see if I'd want one in a guitar but it is far too much real estate. The varitone is going to end up in the booster pedal I've built. I was considering a big muff pi tone control or even a two knob Baxandall eq with an onboard booster circuit but then I ran across the Torres super mid range. Wow.

The super mid range is built on a 500K linear push pull with an inductor linked to a .039 cap & 220K resistor in parallel on the 0 side and a .022 cap & 1M resistor on the 10 side. With the new tone control in the down position you have a normal tone circuit. I chose a .0047 cap for the standard tone control and it has a nice warm yet clear sound at 0. Pulled up you have a mid cut from 0 to 5 and mid pass from 5 to 10. The best sound is with it pulled and at 0 for max mid cut but every tone is usable and distinct. I still have the blend hooked up too.

I'm considering building one with a high pass filter on the 10 side when pulled instead of the mid "boost". That would give you a standard low pass/normal tone in the down position and a mid cut/high pass when pulled. I use the bridge pickup with the tone at 10 always, so I'm wondering what else I can add in that spot for tonal variety. Maybe a series mod? Meh?

I still have to make a new white pickguard with two 3-way toggles so I can have any pickup combo and instant bridge only. Yes, I'd prefer just one toggle too, but I've learned that volume knobs for pickup selection aren't fast enough.

I'll update with photos at some point.
whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Re: Torres super mid range tone control in a 350

Post by whojamfan »

Awesome, would love to see the finished product :D
whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Post by whojamfan »

Dom, how long did it take Torres to get those parts to you? Going on over 2 "business days" weeks since I ordered and paid for 2 midrange kits and have seen nothing, heard nothing, and had an inquiry email sent late last week unanswered.
:shock:
whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Post by whojamfan »

Got it, finally :roll:
sleepingtiger

Post by sleepingtiger »

Try push/PUSH pots from Allparts for switching. I've had them in another guitar for over 10 years with NO issues. Fast & no worry about gripping knobs.

Tony
whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Post by whojamfan »

I just got the one that replaces the cap on a tone control I plan on using on the neck pickup.

Return to “"Vibrola" Rickenbacker Technical Forum: By Paul Wilczynski”