What size screws were used for bridge covers circa 1964?

Setup, repair and restoration of Rickenbacker Instruments

Moderator: jingle_jangle

milo
Veteran RRF member

What size screws were used for bridge covers circa 1964?

Post by milo »

I'm looking for a bridge cover screw for my 1964 and I can't figure out what size it is. The modern #4 screws are a touch too big. I'm assuming that they are either a #3 or possibly something oddball from before the SAE 60 series standards came about. I can't tell if the one original screw is some form of self-tapping screw or just a regular thread. Unfortunately, nowhere close to my house has any #3 screws to try out and I don't want to mail order a package of 50-100 unless I know they are what I need.

Does anybody happen to have an original floating around that they would be willing to part with? I have no idea when the screws changed, but the one in my bridge is a washer style hex head with a straight slot in it.

Thanks.
ken_j
RRF Consultant

Re: What size screws were used for bridge covers circa 1964?

Post by ken_j »

I believe they are #3 but not sure of the thread pitch. If I recall correctly JH helped someone out with this a few years back. Maybe an email or call to the factory would help you out. I do have some #2 screws with my electronic parts but not sure about #3's. I'll take a look later. A gunsmith may also have some small screws.
"The best things in life aren't things."
milo
Veteran RRF member

Re: What size screws were used for bridge covers circa 1964?

Post by milo »

Thanks Ken,

I have some #2 as well and those are definitely too small. From a web search I don't have much faith in finding the hex washer head style in a #3 so I doubt I can match the original which is alright if I have to order a large pack of new ones. I hadn't thought of a gunsmith. I found the #2s at a hobby shop that specialized in radio control and trains but they're closed so I'm probably looking at $8-10 in gas to go shopping for another good hobby shop and that's if I know the correct size.

I'll try contacting RIC, too.

Return to “"Vibrola" Rickenbacker Technical Forum: By Paul Wilczynski”