'88 330-6 restoration - what Schaller tuners do I need?

Setup, repair and restoration of Rickenbacker Instruments

Moderator: jingle_jangle

Pikselator

'88 330-6 restoration - what Schaller tuners do I need?

Post by Pikselator »

I am restoring my beloved 1988 white 330-6, and are repainting it from the original white with black trim, to black with chrome trim. Some of the parts i am having chromed, but the tuners I'm going to have to replace. However, online the tuners are always referred to as Schaller minis, without any indication as to how these tuners differ from regular ones. My question is therefore: 1. How can I know if I have Schaller minis or regulars (if that is what they are called) fitted originally on my guitar? 2. Can I order any Schaller tuners - mini or regular - and will they both fit my 330-6?

Sten, Arendal, Norway
deaconblues
RRF Consultant

Re: '88 330-6 restoration - what Schaller tuners do I need?

Post by deaconblues »

Rickenbacker uses the mini. The regular Schaller keys will be too big.

By the way, if you're considering chroming the R tail, you should know that the black-finished tailpieces have a reputation for self-destructing. Might be better to go with a new chrome tailpiece.
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

You can compare the specs between the Schaller standards and minis at the Stewart-Macdonald website:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Guit ... ?tab=Specs

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Guit ... ?tab=Specs

(Scroll down to see the specs)
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
Hotzenplotz
Intermediate Member

Post by Hotzenplotz »

Here one possible source for the M6 mini in Europe:

http://www.thomann.de/se/schaller_m6min ... chanik.htm

They deliver to Norway, too.

The picture shows the ones You find on actual 330s.

BTW: Welcome to the RRF!
Pikselator

Post by Pikselator »

Thanks alot for the replies.

@deaconblues: I am going to chrome the tailpiece. I have stripped it of black paint with a generic paint-remover. How ezxcactly are they known to be self-destructing? Is it the chroming that kills them, or are they considered just to be weaker in the metal? I have had the black tailpiece on my guitar since i bought it in '88, and it's holding up so far.

The chrome guy is charging me about £120/$180 for chroming the tailpiece, the tailpiece holder/anchor/thing, and two microphone covers - I am not sure its good value if I risk destroying the tailpiece..

Thanks again for the help - it's much appreciated!

Sten
deaconblues
RRF Consultant

Post by deaconblues »

Pikselator wrote:Thanks alot for the replies.

@deaconblues: I am going to chrome the tailpiece. I have stripped it of black paint with a generic paint-remover. How ezxcactly are they known to be self-destructing? Is it the chroming that kills them, or are they considered just to be weaker in the metal? I have had the black tailpiece on my guitar since i bought it in '88, and it's holding up so far.

The chrome guy is charging me about £120/$180 for chroming the tailpiece, the tailpiece holder/anchor/thing, and two microphone covers - I am not sure its good value if I risk destroying the tailpiece..

Thanks again for the help - it's much appreciated!

Sten
Something about the process by which they painted or powdercoated the tailpieces black is known to weaken them. It usually only happens to the twelve-string versions, but I wanted to give you a heads up. Search the forum for "exploding tailpiece".
Pikselator

Post by Pikselator »

Thanks for heads up.

And thanks again,all for the tips on where to buy the Schallers; just ordered a set!
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Remember, there was a WEST Germany at the time and the period correct tuners will reflect this. Still easier to find than my favorite weird RIC thing, "space Germany" tuners.

Return to “"Vibrola" Rickenbacker Technical Forum: By Paul Wilczynski”