Bartolini 6RT & Ric covers

Setup, repair and restoration of Rickenbacker Instruments

Moderator: jingle_jangle

Badanovski

Bartolini 6RT & Ric covers

Post by Badanovski »

Does anyone know if a Bartolini 6RT neck pickup will fit in a 4003 neck pickup cover?
cassius987

Re: Bartolini 6RT & Ric covers

Post by cassius987 »

I can almost guarantee you it won't (for one thing it's taller than a regular Ric pickup and a little longer or less rounded on the edges if I remember right), but it mounts to plexi the same way a Ric pickup shell does.
Badanovski

Post by Badanovski »

I need to get rid of the HB-1's in my 4004. We're not getting along. I do love the gold covers. In all the basses that i've owned & played over the years it seems I prefer the sound of split-coil over side by side humbuckers. I briefly considered going 4003 single coil but I would have to use 2 neck-pickups to retain the gold covers. I doubt the poles at the bridge position would line up & I hate to imagine what a toaster with a gold cover would go for. Assuming I could find one. Then there's the buzz.
The only company I've found that makes a pickup that uses the covers is Joe Barden & they look to be side by side. Any Ideas?
Martthebass

Post by Martthebass »

Aren't the HB1s coil tappable?
Someone will be on soon to suggest a fine harness mod that should work for you.
Btw I didn't get on with them either but being based in the uk meant a little hassle to get the mods done. Out with the 4004 in with the 4003. I did love the bridge on the 4004 though.....
cassius987

Post by cassius987 »

You can rewire he HB-1s to be an RWRP pair of single coils very easily.
Badanovski

Post by Badanovski »

cassius987 wrote:You can rewire he HB-1s to be an RWRP pair of single coils very easily.
I was thinking about that. Would that be to use the black & red off one pickup black being ground? And use the clear & blue off the other clear being ground? I currently have the coils in parallel on both pickups. It is still too dark for my tastes. There have been 4 gigs where I could not get an acceptable tone out of the bass yet had no problem getting killer tone out of the backup bass. Different backup each time. Is there much of a difference between the sound of parallel & single coil on these pickups?
cassius987

Post by cassius987 »

I can't remember what the colors are but I use wire numbers, 1,2 being the "north" coil and 3,4 being the "south" coil. The numbers are given on the underside of the pickup or are easily deduced. I do 3 hot, 4 ground for the neck pickup and 2 hot, 1 ground for the bridge pickup. There's also a layer of shielding that goes to ground for each.

Return to “"Vibrola" Rickenbacker Technical Forum: By Paul Wilczynski”