12 string with headstock repair?

Setup, repair and restoration of Rickenbacker Instruments

Moderator: jingle_jangle

peeninety

12 string with headstock repair?

Post by peeninety »

Hi, I posted this in the guitars sub forum, but maybe this is the more appropriate place. I was wondering if any of you guys have any experience with 12 strings that have had headstock repairs. I realize that it has a lot to do with the quality of the repair, but I was wondering if there was more to worry about with a 12 string due to the additional tension caused by the additional 6 strings. Have any of you experienced any issues? Are there certain things to look out for? Thanks in advance.
collin

Re: 12 string with headstock repair?

Post by collin »

Hard to say, James.

A properly repaired headstock can be as strong or stronger than before the repair. There is more string tension with a 12-string of course, but not a whole lot. If a repair is stable with 6-strings, it's likely to be stable with 12.

Make sure you pay accordingly to the repair. It does affect the value quite a bit, but if it's been properly repaired, is a good way to get a player for cheap.
peeninety

Post by peeninety »

Thank you, Collin. Yeah, I wouldn't pay more than 1/2 the going rate for a guitar of the same vintage. Still, I can see resale being an issue down the line. Headstock repairs seem to scare most people off.
collin

Post by collin »

peeninety wrote:Thank you, Collin. Yeah, I wouldn't pay more than 1/2 the going rate for a guitar of the same vintage. Still, I can see resale being an issue down the line. Headstock repairs seem to scare most people off.

No prob!

For resale - people will buy just about anything, provided that the price accurately reflects the condition. Just make sure you pay an appropriate (low) amount in the first place, and you'll be fine.

If you need a second opinion on price, just post it here and we'll let you know.

Return to “"Vibrola" Rickenbacker Technical Forum: By Paul Wilczynski”