Is this one of the redesigned 12 string nut?

Setup, repair and restoration of Rickenbacker Instruments

Moderator: jingle_jangle

tamere

Is this one of the redesigned 12 string nut?

Post by tamere »

My Rickenbacker is a lefty from 2008. I read that Rickenbacker modified the nuts for their 12 string a few years back, to slightly increase spacing. Can anyone check this photo and tell me if this is one of the newer nuts? Because I am finding it hard to play, C chords etc, without inadvertently muting strings, there is just too little space.

I am thinking of having a luthier redo the nut to increase spacing between strings and reduce space between octaves if this is one of the older narrow nut, if it's not possible to increase spacing more than that, I will have to sell it...I would rather not!

deaconblues
RRF Consultant

Re: Is this one of the redesigned 12 string nut?

Post by deaconblues »

If you're looking for a luthier, I think you need to contact Mark Arnquist on BeatGearCavern. He's the best at this stuff.
teb
Advanced Member

Re: Is this one of the redesigned 12 string nut?

Post by teb »

Mark can replace the nut with a new one with slightly wider spacing which makes a difference.
Or...if you're willing to pay the money, he can refret the guitar with frets through the binding and all the way out to the edges of the neck, and then replace the nut to take advantage of the extra width and tighten up the pairs. This makes a very substantial difference in how much room you have up there.
Attachments
nuts.jpg

Return to “"Vibrola" Rickenbacker Technical Forum: By Paul Wilczynski”