Screws for high gains

Setup, repair and restoration of Rickenbacker Instruments

Moderator: jingle_jangle

whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Screws for high gains

Post by whojamfan »

Looking to fit some toaster covers on a set of new high gains and need to replace the pole piece screws so they are flush with the top so the cover will fit. Product number and retailer would be awesome, or if you have some I need 12 and can ppalyou for them. Thanks.
8mileshigher

Screws for high gains

Post by 8mileshigher »

Mikey, when I Toasterized my High Gains I bought screws to replace the pole pieces, at that True Value Hardware store there in Long Beach, off of Los Coyotes, nearby Paulie's house.

Just remember to get shorter screws, because you need to offset the depth of the countersink hole your drill into the pickup, from the length of the replacement screw.
collin

Re: Screws for high gains

Post by collin »

Save the hassle... just unscrew the old polepiece, turn it upside down and thread it in from the bottom side.

Voila!
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

collin wrote:Save the hassle... just unscrew the old polepiece, turn it upside down and thread it in from the bottom side.

Voila!
How do you glue the magnet back on the rounded heads? Removing material from the magnet to countersink the heads would weaken the magnet by the amount you remove. I'm curious....
whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Post by whojamfan »

Thread size? Length? Material? I don't want to drill anything or remove magnets.
whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Post by whojamfan »

I need one more Toaster cover as well if anyone has a spare
collin

Post by collin »

johnallg wrote:
collin wrote:Save the hassle... just unscrew the old polepiece, turn it upside down and thread it in from the bottom side.

Voila!
How do you glue the magnet back on the rounded heads? Removing material from the magnet to countersink the heads would weaken the magnet by the amount you remove. I'm curious....
Who said anything about removing the magnets? :lol:

Literally, (and I mean literally) I just thread the screws in from the bottom side. Sure, the Allen heads rest on the bottom of the magnet, but it's 100% reversible, requires no extra parts....and sounds like a hi gain. No brainer! :)
whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Post by whojamfan »

Will do Collin! I looked at the pickup a few minutes ago and that looks like a great idea. If you say it sounds right then that's all I needed to hear brotha(:
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

The screws will all have different lenghts since they are taller in the middle tapering to shorter on the ends. Add to this the fact that once screwed in from the bottom, the added thickness of the magnet will mean that some of the screws will sit deeper down in their holes. Now, while I've found that Hi-gains will even work without any poles at all, the strings do get louder the closer they get to the poles. When I've done this conversion, I use Allen screws from the top. Make sure they're magnetic.
collin

Post by collin »

aceonbass wrote:The screws will all have different lenghts since they are taller in the middle tapering to shorter on the ends. Add to this the fact that once screwed in from the bottom, the added thickness of the magnet will mean that some of the screws will sit deeper down in their holes. Now, while I've found that Hi-gains will even work without any poles at all, the strings do get louder the closer they get to the poles. When I've done this conversion, I use Allen screws from the top. Make sure they're magnetic.
Pickup sounded the same with polepieces threaded in from the bottom side... just my experience.

If anything, I would think they improve the sound since the hi gain can be a harsh-sounding pickup and the small gap putting the polepieces further from the string can take the edge off the tone.
whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Post by whojamfan »

Toaster cover ordered from POTRs and will give the underside screw deal a try. :D
whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Post by whojamfan »

Toaster covers fitted, you were right Collin, couldn't have been easier :D

Looks like the guitar will be back in my hands by next weekend, will give a full report!

Return to “"Vibrola" Rickenbacker Technical Forum: By Paul Wilczynski”