Will tailpiece change solve my problem?

Setup, repair and restoration of Rickenbacker Instruments

Moderator: jingle_jangle

sleepingtiger

Will tailpiece change solve my problem?

Post by sleepingtiger »

I have a 370/12 that I am unable to change single strings on. Will replacing my "R" tailpiece with a trapeze from here:http://winfieldvintage.com/parts/conversion-kits.html solve my problem? WILL it be easier to change a single string than with the "R"?

Thanks in Advance,
Tony
deaconblues
RRF Consultant

Re: Will tailpiece change solve my problem?

Post by deaconblues »

Yep. Is it worth the money and hassle to learn how to string your guitar with the R tail? That's up to you.

Many use a capo to keep pitch on the string while winding. I just use my free hand. There are a ton of threads on how to do it on the forum -- use the search at top right.
sleepingtiger

Post by sleepingtiger »

I can't even get the ball end seated in the tailpiece :oops: . It looks like with the trapeze it threads through a hole rather than seating in a channel. DOES it have a hole to string through?

Tony
collin

Post by collin »

There isn't a hole like on a trapeze. Just slide the string under the tailpiece and hook the ball end into its slot. Then keep tension on the string with your right hand (to keep it seated), while you string it into the tuner without left hand.

I use my pinky finger and thumb to simultaneously hold tension on the bridge/tailpiece end and the tuner end while I'm winding the string , until eventually you don't need the hand tension. Repeat this for each string.

Some people put all the strings into the tailpiece and use a strip of masking tape or duct tape under the tailpiece to hold the string into place and then remove the tape after they are in tension. This is especially useful for 12-strings.

Just do it a few times, you'll get the hang of it..
kennyhowes
Veteran RRF member

Post by kennyhowes »

collin wrote:Just do it a few times, you'll get the hang of it..
+1
MDL

Post by MDL »

Sometimes it can be hard to find the slot, the string wants to go into the wrong one, it takes practice to re-string a Ric. I use a small piece (2"x2") of foam rubber to hold the string in place. Try it.
collin

Post by collin »

Well....you have to look for the right slot, that usually helps. :lol:
sleepingtiger

Post by sleepingtiger »

There isn't a hole like on a trapeze. Just slide the string under the tailpiece and hook the ball end into its slot. Then keep tension on the string with your right hand (to keep it seated), while you string it into the tuner without left hand.
OK, so in answer to my question...the trapeze 12 string tailpiece DOES have a hole for each of the 12 strings, correct?

Tony
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

sleepingtiger wrote:
OK, so in answer to my question...the trapeze 12 string tailpiece DOES have a hole for each of the 12 strings, correct?

Tony
No, the trapeze has 6 holes, two strings to a hole.
All I wanna do is rock!
deaconblues
RRF Consultant

Post by deaconblues »

This one from Winfield will drop right on to your existing bracket, if you decide to go that route:

jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

kiramdear wrote:
sleepingtiger wrote:

Tony
No, the trapeze has 6 holes, two strings to a hole.
Ahh, but there is this one.
sleepingtiger

Post by sleepingtiger »

Other than the looks(I'm leaning towards the harp), is there any reason why one or the other is better? harp or trapeze?

Thanks guys!

Tony
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

sleepingtiger wrote:...is there any reason why one or the other is better? harp or trapeze?

Thanks guys!

Tony
For one, you already have the mounting bracket on your guitar for the harp to fit on directly, so I suppose that would be what you want. The trapeze requires a different type of bracket.
sleepingtiger

Post by sleepingtiger »

Great, thanks guys!

Tony
Pimpernel Smith

Post by Pimpernel Smith »

Putting a Harp shape tail piece on my 330 was one of the smartest things that I could have done.

The Winfield Vintage tail pieces make a lot of sense, and removes the frustration of using the blind R tailpieces. Highly recommended. It saves a great deal of time, and eliminated the swearing factor.

I sold my 12 string Ric 360, years ago just because I couldn't take dealing with tail piece. What a shame.

Return to “"Vibrola" Rickenbacker Technical Forum: By Paul Wilczynski”