Problem with the blend knob

Setup, repair and restoration of Rickenbacker Instruments

Moderator: jingle_jangle

mrfiama

Problem with the blend knob

Post by mrfiama »

Hi,

This is my first post here in this forum. I have a lovely 360v64/12 and I have a problem with the blend knob.It doesn't affect the tone in the bridge position, it seems to work in the middle position. In the neck position works like a volume control. It goes from full neck pickup (full counter clock wise), to *almost* no signal on full clockwise.

I don't think this is the correct behaviour. I've been checking the wiring several times and it looks correct to me (obviously it is not). Can you guys give me some advise on this one? where to start looking? I'm thinking of starting again and rewiring the whole thing.

Thanks in advance
Ontario_RIC_fan
Advanced Member

Re: Problem with the blend knob

Post by Ontario_RIC_fan »

It sounds like it is doing exactly what it is supposed to do, which is to blend the two pick ups when in the middle position. When you only have one pick up selected it has nothing to blend!

Me i tend to play in the middle position, with the volume and tone pots turned all the way up - I then use the blend knob between the two pick ups to add or roll off treble.

I have never owned a c63 or v64 mind you - but sounds like it is doing what it is supposed to do. :mrgreen:
Brian Morton
A Rickenbacker Fan
in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
=========================
67 FG 625
74 JG 4000
76 JG 430
77 JG 620
77 JG 320
79 MG 450
79 JG 4001
80 FG 620/12
81 BG 480
91 JG 610
02 BG 620
78 TR7
83 TR25
mrfiama

Post by mrfiama »

Thank you Brian,

I forgot to mention that I replace the hi-gain toasters with a set of regular toasters, so I'm afraid I did something wrong in the process. The middle position looks ok, but I'm quite sure the blend knob had some effect in one of the other positions. Anyway, I think it does not make sense that dialing a good tone in the middle position can make the volume in the neck position dissappear!
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

Ontario_RIC_fan wrote:It sounds like it is doing exactly what it is supposed to do, which is to blend the two pick ups when in the middle position. When you only have one pick up selected it has nothing to blend!
+1
Ontario_RIC_fan wrote:i tend to play in the middle position, with the volume and tone pots turned all the way up - I then use the blend knob between the two pick ups to add or roll off treble.
This is how I do it on a 12-string, as the neck pickup does little to nothing for me and the bridge pickup I find to be too harsh. With the blend knob, I have it set about 55%. Not enough neck pickup to where it produces that two pickup "quack", but enough to where it isn't harsh, tinny and brittle.

Now my 6-string is a different story. For subtle, clean rhythms, I play with both pickups together (my blend knob on about halfway to avoid the "quack") and for heavier stuff, I play in the bridge with some light to heavy overdrive, depending on the song. I've only occasionally used the neck pickup for bluesy-style stuff, and I've rolled the blend knob open to get a good sound, but I don't typically use the neck pickup that much on a Ric.
Ontario_RIC_fan wrote:I have never owned a c63 or v64 mind you - but sounds like it is doing what it is supposed to do. :mrgreen:
I do have a V64, and I can confirm that your blend knob is working perfectly. 8)

I hear that a C63 has a harder time dialing in both pickups together, but while I have played two, I've never spent enough time with either one to know.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Ontario_RIC_fan wrote:It sounds like it is doing exactly what it is supposed to do, which is to blend the two pick ups when in the middle position. When you only have one pick up selected it has nothing to blend!

Me i tend to play in the middle position, with the volume and tone pots turned all the way up - I then use the blend knob between the two pick ups to add or roll off treble.

I have never owned a c63 or v64 mind you - but sounds like it is doing what it is supposed to do. :mrgreen:
Your blend control is working as designed. It is essentially a second neck pickup volume control, in series with the main neck pickup volume control, except that the lug on the pot that would normally be grounded is left open so that the signal does not get completely cut off. As you have found, it is wired in reverse to the main volume control which is why full output is CCW.

Return to “"Vibrola" Rickenbacker Technical Forum: By Paul Wilczynski”