Refinishing my 1979 4001 Autumnglo

Setup, repair and restoration of Rickenbacker Instruments

Moderator: jingle_jangle

Wiker

Refinishing my 1979 4001 Autumnglo

Post by Wiker »

My refinishing project last summer (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=409891) turned out very well. Invested a lot of time and some money in preparations, I had everything I needed (except new binding) for one more refinish. I simply couldn’t resist doing my 1979 4001 Autumnoglo this summer. Frets were a bit low, didn’t need it that bad but levelling fretboar wouldn’t hurt, some damage to the finish, someone had used it a righty and added ugly side dots to the treble side of the neck and a large hole for strap button on the lower horn.

Didn’t have the time to do any English writing during the process, so here are a few quick photos:

Original (with a few mods):
Wiker

Re: Refinishing my 1979 4001 Autumnglo

Post by Wiker »

Plugged all screw holes on the front in order to shift everything to centre:

Removing frets:

Levelling fretboard:

Checking:
Wiker

Post by Wiker »

Applying new binding before removing old finish (should have removed finish first):

Made a mess with the homemade glue (binding scrap dissolved in acetone):

Wiker

Post by Wiker »

Filling grain in fretboard:

Needed to saw the slots a little deeper:

Bevelling edge of fret slots:

New frets (Jescar FW43080):

Binding fretboard:

Fretboard completed:
Wiker

Post by Wiker »

Removing rest of old finish:

Making sure back and front of headstock is flat and parallel . . .

I wish I thought of that when I did my 4001V63:

Ready to get finished:
Wiker

Post by Wiker »

Sealing coat:

Sanding sealing coat getting ready to spray colour:

At one point I had made too many mistakes (with the body binding, spraying pattern, not 100% satisfied with the colour, sanded through to the colour layer in several places), so had to strip it down and start over:
Wiker

Post by Wiker »

Original finish:

First spray, horns a bit too dark, colour a bit too greenish :

Second spray with colour a little bit less greenish:
Wiker

Post by Wiker »

Just received the colour and one clear coat - looking good in the sun:

Wiker

Post by Wiker »

Puh. Finally my carrier as a refinisher is over.

My aim to get it as close to the original as I could, only a little darker (the original finish had obviously faded quite a bit). I think I got the colour quite close, although hard to judge because the original finish had faded and ambered. When I did the first round of spraying I was surprised and disappointed about it turning out so much darker than I planed (it was hard to judge due to strong light in my spraying tent). But after a while I stated to like it that way, so after striping it and spraying it again I wanted the same dark spray.

I was planning to add amber to the clear coat to yellow the binding and make it look more like the 35 year old bass it is. But I liked the clean look of pure white binding against the darker brown so I dropped the amber. Maybe I’ll give it a white nut also. I’m now working on a new pickguard, and have cut out an extended ‘60s style guard. But, I don’t want to cover up so much of the wood at the body centre so I’ll probably cut it down to normal size.

sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

Wait. Why did you refinish that?
Wiker

Post by Wiker »

sloop_john_b wrote:Wait. Why did you refinish that?
Too late to say 'wait' 8)
Basically because I can and I wanted to. To level the fretboard and give it new frets (without any signs on the finish), to fix scars (that some call mojo), to remove the "signs" put on it by someone converting it to right hand play - to make it look new, wish is the way I like it. I'm better at fixing things and make my basses look good, than to make them sound good - so that's what I do. When this one is done I hope to spend more time playing.
scotty

Post by scotty »

Fantastic thread Geir.I think what you have done is terrific work and your bass looks great.Im sure when its finished it will be perfect for you.I have to be honest and i say that i preferred the late 70s faded amber look,thats just my opinion so dont be offended.Great work tho. :D
godber
Advanced Member

Post by godber »

I probably agree with Scotty about the original colour, but it's a great thread Geir. Particularly like the way you've done the frets ends by keeping the binding nub. Are the fret ends cut square to achieve this?
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

I love the darker finish against the binding, very sharp looking. I would love to see what a vintage (longer pickguard) looks like on this but I understand what you are aiming for. Definitely keep the toaster in the 1/2" location, though. 8)

With all the work you have done, why did you not add checker binding to this?
Wiker

Post by Wiker »

Thanks everyone.

I know what you guys mean about the original faded and ambered finish - it does have its charm and aura of times past. As I said above, the first round of spraying it ended that dark by accident. When I had a second go at it I was much undecided for some time. But I knew that if I walked into a store and saw these basses side by side, knowing myself I know I would immediately fall for the dark one. As we say in Norway: "personal taste is like the butt – divided down the middle". (In Norwegian it rimes and sounds much better) A bit sad to have ruined the original finish, but at the same time I myself is pleased with the new look.

Return to “"Vibrola" Rickenbacker Technical Forum: By Paul Wilczynski”