Bad Vibrations on my 660/12

Setup, repair and restoration of Rickenbacker Instruments

Moderator: jingle_jangle

squirebass
Veteran RRF member

Bad Vibrations on my 660/12

Post by squirebass »

I have recently acquired a 660/12, and as the guitar needed some truss rod tweaks and a setup, I had a local luthier set it up, which of course involved changing strings.
But since I got it back, I have noticed a vibration when I play on the high strings, mostly the high b and e pairs. At first I thought this vibration or buzzing was coming from the upper pickguard , but today I determined that it is indeed coming from the tailpiece, when I play on those upper string pairs. I noticed that each pair of strings shares a slot in the tailpiece, and in this case the two strings seem to be a bit twisted together. It is not at all audible thru any amplifier, but I can FEEL it when I play and it is distracting. My question, what can I do about it, has anyone else experienced this, and is there any easy fix that doesn't involve removing or replacing the strings? This is the second 660/12, and I have never noticed this happening before, even when I made my bungled string changes. I don't believe this is anything other than possibly an oversight(if that) on the part of my luthier, who is very experienced and does great work on all my guitars. The strings used were the standard Rickenbacker strings, I don't have the model number in front of me, but I purchased them direct from Rickenbacker. Anyone have any experience with this?
Clint
Intermediate Member

Re: Bad Vibrations on my 660/12

Post by Clint »

Have you tried loosening and untwisting the strings and then re-tuning? I don't think that would count as removing or replacing :wink:
Jangle, Chime & Twang.
scotty

Post by scotty »

Could be a number of things
a loose screw leg/post on the bridge (lightly tighten them just till the screw gets bedded)
loose knob
loose switch
Loose Truss rod i had this on a 330 and it took me a while to identify ,check nut on the rods arent loose.

Failing that take it back to the person you got to set it up and say Fix this ya numpty.
squirebass
Veteran RRF member

Post by squirebass »

Yeppers, that seemed to do the trick although I broke one of the endpieces off of one of the high E pairs when I attempted to unravel them and straighten them out. It appears that they must be guided into the correct slot on the bridge without any twisting around the other string at the bridge, otherwise there will be a buzzing. This is good for me to know for future experience. See the attached pic. Thanks to all who contributed for the help, really appreciate it!!! :D
Attachments
660-12 bridge small.jpg
squirebass
Veteran RRF member

Post by squirebass »

After further review....
Bridge buzzing and vibrating is still there....
I made the post above and made changes to the unwrap the string pairs, which seemed to remove the localized rattling/vibrations that occurred when I played. But I did all of this very late at night(for me) and since I was tired after changing the string, I didn't play enough to realize that the vibration is still there, although it is more generalized to ALL strings. I don't recall having this issue ever with my previous 660/12, and I know I changed my own strings on that one a few times, so I'm taking it back to the luthier that fixed it.
I'm not sure what can be done about this, but does anyone have any other suggestions?
scotty

Post by scotty »

Ok
strum the guitar and hold down the bridge
with your left hand to double make sure it's not the bridge legs.
check that you've not got a lose saddle also.
I still recon it's a loose post,failing that you might need the saddle slot filed.
Also is it still vibrating when the bridge cover is off?
squirebass
Veteran RRF member

Post by squirebass »

Thanks Scott, I will try your suggestions as soon as possible, I haven't had the bridge cover off this whole time so I'll take a look at that first...
Clint
Intermediate Member

Post by Clint »

And while you have the bridge cover off, check those little tension springs on the bridge pieces. They can be the source of sympathetic vibrations. BTW the flame on your 660/12 is gorgeous.
Jangle, Chime & Twang.
squirebass
Veteran RRF member

Post by squirebass »

Thanks for your kind words and helpful advice Clint! I will be taking a close look at it tonight.
squirebass
Veteran RRF member

Post by squirebass »

Well, I removed the bridge cover and looked at the saddles, but I don't see anything where any of the strings weren't seated properly. I did tighten one of the four posts that anchors the bridge to the body of guitar and that seemed to help a little. Checked the screws that hold the trapeze in place, but they seemed securely tightened. It sounds a little like the vibration is actually coming from the trapeze and strings secured on it, but I'm not really sure. I think I am going to have to take it back to my luthier to have a closer look (sigh). The bridge seems solid. I can post pics if anyone thinks of anything else that I might look at -- hate to take it to the guy who set it up because that means I won't have it for about a week... :?

Return to “"Vibrola" Rickenbacker Technical Forum: By Paul Wilczynski”