Tiny Heel Crack and Some Finish Lifting?

Setup, repair and restoration of Rickenbacker Instruments

Moderator: jingle_jangle

JoeNacho

Tiny Heel Crack and Some Finish Lifting?

Post by JoeNacho »

Hello all,

Long-time lurker, first-time poster. I just acquired my dream Rick (2004 360/12 Monte Brown) locally through a CL trade. What I didn't notice when first examining the guitar is that there was a tiny crack in the binding by the bass-side of the heel:

It's hard to tell from the photos, but the binding finish/paint has also bubbled a bit in this area. Now the guitar plays fine and holds tune, after I made some initial set-up adjustments, but as new buyers will do I'm having some anxiety over it.

I've done a bit of searching online and found a couple of other mentions of this similar problem, with one of them speculating that it may have been due to string tension (Pyramids). The other mention suspected temperature fluctuation at the time of original purchase.

Once the holidays have passed I intend to have a luthier take a gander, but was hoping for some advice/thoughts/reassurances in the meantime. Cheers!
JoeNacho

Re: Tiny Heel Crack and Some Finish Lifting?

Post by JoeNacho »

I realize the photos are terrible, but I wanted to add that you can feel the crack in the binding with your finger so I presume that's not a good sign. That said, I don't think the guitar has taken any significant shots as there are no dents or dings anywhere on it, but I have no way of knowing for sure until I can have someone look at it in person.

I was just hoping to be talked down from the proverbial ledge in the meantime. I'd hate to find out that there's something amiss. :?
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

I can't really see it. Doesn't seem like much of a problem to me, but I would get those Pyramids off there - too much tension! Try TI Flats from Pick of the Ricks.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Agreed. And don't worry about the tiny defects. There's such a thing as messing with it too early. Wait and see if it develops a rash.
JoeNacho

Post by JoeNacho »

Thank you both for the great advice.

Return to “"Vibrola" Rickenbacker Technical Forum: By Paul Wilczynski”