Pickguard Swapping?

Setup, repair and restoration of Rickenbacker Instruments

Moderator: jingle_jangle

gr81dorn

Pickguard Swapping?

Post by gr81dorn »

I have a question about pickguard fitting. I am jonesing for a gold pickguard and TRC on a fireglo 330 that I am looking at buying from a friend. It's a 2012. My unrelated buddy has a 660 from 2011 or '12 that has the gold pickguards and TRC. I know the guitar bodies are considerably different in size, but would the pickguards be the same? Would the TRC's be the same? one or the other? neither?

Anyone know? I realize it's pure vanity to make such a change, but I think it looks cool and want to figure an economic way to do it and the few times I've seen PGs and TRCs for sale, they are typically crazy pricey.

Let me know what you know. Thanks all!
jdawe

Re: Pickguard Swapping?

Post by jdawe »

The pickguards look similar on a casual glance but the shapes aren't identical (especially the uppers). Pickguardian has templates for both, and if you compare them you'll see the differences.

http://www.pickguardian.com/options/templates/

Tony at Pickguardian will make you one that fits your guitar exactly and his work is impeccable and worth the money.

I'm less certain about the TRCs - I think they'll be very close in shape if not exact, but the screw holes may not align perfectly between the 330 and the 620/660. Unfortunately scarcity has driven the price of TRCs to crazy heights, especially for the gold ones, and because of trademark restrictions you're stuck with the resale market.
gr81dorn

Post by gr81dorn »

thanks for the info. I actually talked to Tony the other day and he gave me a good run-down and showed me some options. I think I'll probably give him a try. Seems like a good dude and the price is very reasonable.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Tony is great and makes the best pickguards. Did he tell you he can paint your existing TRC to match? Obviously, it won't magically turn to plexi but it will look really nice. 8)
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

jps wrote:Tony is great and makes the best pickguards. Did he tell you he can paint your existing TRC to match? Obviously, it won't magically turn to plexi but it will look really nice. 8)
+1!

I wish I'd bought a few more before I left the USA. I wonder what shipping to NZ would cost? I have a sneaking suspicion I'm gonna find out...
:roll: :oops: :lol:
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...

Return to “"Vibrola" Rickenbacker Technical Forum: By Paul Wilczynski”