Hum Single Single: Wireing

Setup, repair and restoration of Rickenbacker Instruments

Moderator: jingle_jangle

condo

Hum Single Single: Wireing

Post by condo »

For a old 24 fret 350 ... I have a HB1, and two Hot Toasters. I like idea of two knobs instead of 5. I'm looking for wireing suggestions and ideas. Please provide links to diagrams and specify pot values and cap values.Thanks!
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Re: Hum Single Single: Wireing

Post by aceonbass »

Hmmmm.....You could try one 500K push-pull volume control with the HB1 that also coil shorts it to a single coil, and a 250K volume for the Toasters. No tone controls, no caps, full balls to the walls unfiltered sound of the pickups.
condo

Post by condo »

Thanks for the reply. I like the idea of splitting the humbucker. Not sure about the direct connect. Will it still sound like a Rick? I'm thinking at least one 3 position toggle.

I was thinking Maybe reverse wind the middle pickup to make the neck and middle kind of like a giant humbucker? Then have a push pull pot to so down is both neck and middle and up is just the neck.

I would like to put the HB1 in the bridge and also on push pull. Down is definitely full power, but could up be half the HB1 and middle pickup?

Then the 3 way toggle to go Bridge / Bridge & Neck/ Neck

Ideally 1 volume and one tone control.

But I also want it it sound like a Rickenbacker.

So if need be I'd be willing to do a mini toggle too.

I'm looking for diagram for this kind of setup and recommended values for the components involved. Thanks!
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

Well I think it goes without saying that a standard pickup selector switch would be used. As for diagrams..I kind of make this stuff up as I go sometimes, starting with the easy stuff like the grounds, then venturing into deeper waters with push-pull functions. Just send me your pickguard, and I'll make a new one with the revised layout and wiring all in one package... :wink:
bdawson7

Post by bdawson7 »

Maybe this post will help... The end has what I landed on as the final setup.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=402990&start=15
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

bdawson7 wrote:Maybe this post will help... The end has what I landed on as the final setup.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=402990&start=15
I think the OP had something a bit....simpler in mind.
cassius987

Post by cassius987 »

Blend pot+master tone. A switch regulates which Toaster is going to the blend pot (or both). HB-1 is always in the circuit. Dane's idea to use a DPDT pot to add flexibility to the HB makes sense to me, and in the case of my suggestion it would have to be the master tone pot, methinks.
Dom

Post by Dom »

I love your idea of wiring a 350 with just two knobs. Most 3 pickup guitars fall short somewhere in tone selection, cumbersome controls or aesthetics. Deciding what to put in or leave out with how it plays and make it all look "right" is why I have yet to rewire my own 350. What kind of music do you play with the 350?

If you are making a new pickguard with just two knobs add a second 3-way pickup selector. When you add a second 3 way pickup selector you get every individual pickup and combo, all on, neck & bridge, neck & mid and bridge & mid. A four control layout is still going to look balanced in the absence of the stock 5 knobs. One pickup selector does the neck & mid combos, this runs to the top position of the other three way. That 3 way selects between the neck & mid pickup selector and the bridge. When you want that bridge pickup alone you hit one switch down & it is there. You could make it look like a vintage Ric combo, angled like the 650's do, in a square, volume and tone on top or side to side with the selectors & vice versa...

Make those master volume & master tones both push pull pots and you can add two more functions. Those could be a coil tap the bridge HB1 or put the middle pickup out of phase (which is what I would do) or have a series/parallel for the toasters (both of which I've always wanted and never tried) or a tone cap, or an onboard treble booster...any of which would be great. I have a Torres mid boost/mid cut on a push pull which is another option...it is passive and uses an inductor. Push down for a stock sound pull up for scooped or pushed mid. I would go with 500K pots with a log taper for swells & tone sweeps. Tone caps are a matter of personal preference...what sound are you going for?
condo

Post by condo »

Thread contributors ...Thanks for all the idea's so far ...

What kind of music do I play ... I just had lesson this evening. We attempted to learn and improvise over James Burton's Working Man Blues. I like most rock from the 50's up to about 2000, classic country, if thats a thing, & blues. Currently I find myself listening often to The Police (all albums), The Clash's London Calling, and Weezer's blue album.

I like the idea of the second toggle. It sounds very promising. :D I almost think I would want the toggle for the toasters to be a smaller toggle, but i'm not sure. Do they make a smaller 3 way toggle? Most mini toggles are on off, right?

Keep the ideas coming, so far I'm leaning towards Dom's suggestion.

So I see the rick store offers 330k push pull pots, do they use those with toasters, high gains, or HB1's?
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

condo wrote:So I see the rick store offers 330k push pull pots, do they use those with toasters, high gains, or HB1's?
RIC uses these with the bridge hi-gain IN 4003's, but at 330K it's not the optimal spec for any RIC pickup. Although a good quality CTS part, it's not a very versatile part, and pretty much only suited to the function it performs in 4003's, which is shorting a connection in the down position.

Return to “"Vibrola" Rickenbacker Technical Forum: By Paul Wilczynski”