Setup, repair and restoration of Rickenbacker Instruments

Moderator: jingle_jangle

Sir Ricardo
Intermediate Member

combo switch? is there such a thing as a tone-pot / 3-way sw

Post by Sir Ricardo »

Greetings all - - -

A non-RIC question, if I may.......

Is there such a thing as a combination tone-pot+3-way switch?

Perhaps a push-pull pot? In one position it's a tone pot, and when you pull it up it also selects between 3 options? (for use with 2 humbuckers)

any thoughts?

The way my guitar is laid out is:

2 humbuckers

1 volume pot

1 space for a tone pot

there is no space for a 3-way switch, so, the space designated for the tone pot will also have to act as the 3-way switch space

thus, the need for a combo tone/3-way pot

ideas for such a pot/switch?

thanks much

Richard
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Re: combo switch? is there such a thing as a tone-pot / 3-wa

Post by aceonbass »

I've never seen such a switch/pot/thingy.
Dom

Post by Dom »

What kind of guitar is this? Best I can imagine for those requirements without a switch is two push pulls where each one activates a pickup but they are kind of a pain. Could do a Push pull on the Volume/Tone and just a 3 way. Or go with a 6 place Rotary switch instead? You can wire up each standard position 1-3 then repeat those with tone caps attached 4-6. Like a combo of a Varitone & Pickup Selector.
Ric5150

Post by Ric5150 »

I can't help with implementing your idea, but a few alternate ideas to consider:

1) One concentric pot - master volume, master tone. Then you have a hole for your three-way switch.
http://www.warmoth.com/Concentric-Pot-5 ... 20C58.aspx

2) Two concentric pots - independent volume and tone so you don't necessarily need a switch. Not super fast, but neither is a push/pull. You could also run a master tone and then try to figure out what you could do with the extra pot. Blend knob? Master Volume? .....

3) Two standard push/pulls - master volume, master tone - pull the forward pot to kill the neck, pull the back to kill the bridge - or reverse the polarity if you prefer.

I haven't figured out a way to get you coil taps, so hopefully, we're not going to go there. :)

Note that Warmoth was just the first result that came up in my Google search - you can get those (and the required knobs) any number of places - not that I dislike Warmoth either....

When you don't like the answer, try changing the question. Lots of alternate approaches. In the words of the immortal Yogi Berra, when you come to a fork in the road, take it. :wink:

EDIT: I just re-read Dom's response and my #3 was also in his post. :oops:
Life is suffering; the cause of suffering is desire. Envy is a deadly sin. Save your soul, go ahead and buy another one....

Return to “"Vibrola" Rickenbacker Technical Forum: By Paul Wilczynski”