Help w/ 1964 460-C (I think?) wiring!

Setup, repair and restoration of Rickenbacker Instruments

Moderator: jingle_jangle

juniorexploder

Help w/ 1964 460-C (I think?) wiring!

Post by juniorexploder »

Hi-
First time poster here, forgive me if I'm being redundant, or haven't found the previous post that addresses my question exactly....

My 1964 460-C (#DJ291)has a number of wiring issues that have gone unaddressed for a few years-

1) Toggle switch on the treble P/U is silent.
2) Treble side VOL & TONE POTS are frozen.
3) Blend knob also frozen.

While the guitar is in shockingly primo condition, back in my more "carefree" days this was a road guitar and the controls were subject to MUCHO perspiration- so the deOxit,etc... just isn't doing it. Anyhow- I fear I'll have to rewire the thing with new pots....I can't seem to find any value markings on the pots so I'm a little lost as far as replacements....

...I did see the PDF on the "blend knob replacement" thread with this PDF schem <http://www.rickenbacker.com/pdfs/19514.pdf>
which would indicate that the VOL & TONE pots are 330k and the BLEND pot is 500k. (ALSO - theres NO Rick-O-Sound/Stereo on this model)

The schematic appears to be from the 1990's (or so it says) Anyone out there know if the values of the pots are consistent with a 1964 460-C ?

Also - if anyone has any suggestions that could aid my doing this with a "vintage" mindset, (keeping the passive components, etc) that'd be great!

Thanks!
Greg
Attachments
RICK460_C_wiring.jpg
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Re: Help w/ 1964 460-C (I think?) wiring!

Post by aceonbass »

I absolutely would NOT use new parts from Rickenbacker to restore your wiring harness. Nothing currently available from RIC is correct in any way for any vintage Rick. I can restore this harness while retaining ALL of its original components. I completely disassemble everything, clean all of the solder off of the pot casings, rebuild the internals with NEW correct spec CTS pot internals, clean the original Switchcraft components, then reassemble everything using new cloth insulated 22gauge stranded wire, just like the original. I've done this for a number of members here and on TalkBass. PM me if you're interested.
juniorexploder

Post by juniorexploder »

Thanks for the reply & offer, Dane- I should have mentioned that I do have a pretty well-appointed guitar/electronics shop- (and own, or have owned 20 or so vintage Ricks- so I also have LOTS of spare/orphaned parts)

I was really just wondering if anyone could help with the values of the pots on the '64? (er....I've also rebuilt my share of potentiometers- I restore/repair/maintain older recording gear ) (coincentric stacked bourns pots from the early 70's are a real fave!) Anyhow I was hoping to just pop some replacements in there- (of course saving the old ones!)
juniorexploder

Post by juniorexploder »

There ARE markings on the rear of the pots but nothing that complies with any kind of number code (I.E. "102" for 100k)

.... on the bottom of the potentionmeter it is written: 30156 137. 6438

BTW; this is on the blend pot as well
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Back then, the volume pots were usually 250K Ω and the tone controls sere 500K Ω IIRC, not sure about the blend pot, but it is just another volume control in series with the neck pickup's volume control but wired backwards and with the lug that would usually be grounded left open, instead. So as a guess the blend pot would also be 250KΩ.
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

The blend pot is not 250K. Why would you "just pop some replacements in there" if you've rebuilt pots before? Is keeping the instrument original not worth the effort?
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

aceonbass wrote:The blend pot is not 250K
Thanks for the correction, Dane. What value were the old ones?
juniorexploder

Post by juniorexploder »

aceonbass wrote: Is keeping the instrument original not worth the effort?
While I appreciate your concern! I need a somewhat "quick fix" (I'd like/need to use this on a recording on Tuesday) and I have VERY limited bench time to devote to this at the moment...(as well as the foreseeable future)...

Rest assured I have no intention of trashing any original parts!- I just don't don't have a spare day (or so) that a complete teardown would require-

SO- any ideas on the blend pot value?

Was JPS correct about the VOL=250k TONE =500k?

If I arrive at the correct values- I may just make a brand new harness and save the original for a rainy day (I do live in Seattle so...;-))

Like I said - I'd LOVE to have the time to do it all perfectly now- cuz out of a dozen '50's/60's Rick's I've owned this little axe is the best sounding Ricky by far! Seriously...godlike!
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

The original 60's pot values were indeed 500K for tones, and 250K's for volume. Blend pots were 500K. For the past several years RIC has used the same 330K pot for everything, making for a comparatively dull tone.
juniorexploder

Post by juniorexploder »

Thanks so much Dane & Jeffrey for your help! I actually have some nice new Emerson 250 and 500k pots on hand and I'm wiring the harness right now!

PLUS! Here's my chance to install that DiMarzio Super Distortion in the center position! Now, where did i put my router? :wink:

Return to “"Vibrola" Rickenbacker Technical Forum: By Paul Wilczynski”