330 Seasonal Neck Issues

Setup, repair and restoration of Rickenbacker Instruments

Moderator: jingle_jangle

bowser2533

Re: 330 Seasonal Neck Issues

Post by bowser2533 »

Is the Guitar in question a 12 String or 6?
Ric5150

Post by Ric5150 »

Are the truss rod adjustments always in the same direction or back and forth?

If the latter, it may just be humidity. Here in the Chicago area, I'm constantly loosening truss rods as humidity rises in the spring/summer and tightening them in the fall/winter. I don't even bother with putting the truss rod covers back on most of the time. I fight it on almost all of my guitars, but some just move more than others.

You can try humidifiers and dehumidifiers, and/or consider making the adjustments yourself. It's not that difficult. Adjusting in small increments as the neck "creeps" is better for the guitar, as well. If I pick up a guitar and don't like the action, I grab a wrench, tweak it, retune, and drive on. I should probably just relocate. :)

If the adjustments are always in the same direction, you likely have bigger problems.
Life is suffering; the cause of suffering is desire. Envy is a deadly sin. Save your soul, go ahead and buy another one....
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Before you do anything, you need to purchase a digital humidistat (humidity gauge). Just google the term if your local shop does not carry them. Then check the humidity in the guitar's location. Ideal is 40%-50%. Should be no less than about 25%; that's where troubles seem to start.

In a climate like Chicago, central heating also bakes the moisture out of the air during months when it is on 24/7, even if you've got your temperature set low. Heated air in a Midwest room in winter can drop to less than 5% humidity (hence those annoying static sparks). This wicks the moisture out of the wood, the individual cells shrink, and the wood shrinks, and if it's figured wood, distorts as well. Shrinkage will commonly cause the frets to stick out at the ends.

Regularly check the humidity in the room with the digital humidistat. In the summer you may even need a dehumidifier if you care about your fine instruments, as the Great Lakes area often runs 80% humidity in the summer months, sometimes higher! This will make the wood swell.

If your humidifier isn't up to the task in the winter, you can either upgrade to a larger one, or keep the guitar in the case with a case humidifier or a humidor pack from an online cigar store like Cigars International or Thompson & Co.

This is not something you can guess at, hence the digital measurement. If you are serious about your instruments either as reliable players or as investments or both, this is basic maintenance.
gtburge1

Post by gtburge1 »

What your thought's on the D'Addario two way humidification System Automatically maintains 45-50% RH I picked up from Guitar Center I have two gauge's The packs the same brand Boveda I use for Cigars and there great but a 69 % RH

Return to “"Vibrola" Rickenbacker Technical Forum: By Paul Wilczynski”