ROS Bleed through problem

Setup, repair and restoration of Rickenbacker Instruments

Moderator: jingle_jangle

Oldworldman

ROS Bleed through problem

Post by Oldworldman »

Hey guys,

I just got in a 1973 4001 Jetglow and found that when I use the ric-o-sound feature, there is serious bleed through. I know you are supposed to have minimal bleed through and that is common all my RIC have that, but this is at volume level and is effecting the tone tremendously.

Do you have any idea what this problem could be and where I should look first to find what is wrong? The bass otherwise works fine except for this.

Any suggestions are appreciated. Thank you.
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Re: ROS Bleed through problem

Post by aceonbass »

Pics of the wiring are necessary to diagnose this problem. People tend to rewire Ricks wrong at some point in their lives, usually favoring the Gibson layout.
Oldworldman

Post by Oldworldman »

aceonbass wrote:Pics of the wiring are necessary to diagnose this problem. People tend to rewire Ricks wrong at some point in their lives, usually favoring the Gibson layout.
Yeah I am going to dive into it this weekend and figure it out. I have a novice question for you though, The pots that are in the guitar are original to a 73, if I have to change the whole circuits pots and all meaning just buy an assembly, would you put the original pots back in or just keep the new ones?

Do you think it would effect the tone in any way? I believe as long as its the same values and parts from Rickenbacker, then it should not effect the tone.

Maybe the value of the instrument? Just wanting to know you thoughts. Thanks. I will keep you updated on what I find wrong.

It will get fixed.
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

Rickenbacker no longer sells any of the correct electronics for this bass. Current pots are all 330K, while your originals were 500K tone and 250K volume. I have the correct solid shaft CTS dished back pots in the proper values in stock. I would completely disassemble the harness and sweat the solder off of the pots, then install the correct pot internals into the original cases using pots matched in pairs. I also clean up the switch and output jacks before I reassemble everything using 22gauge wire, then test everything on a multimeter before I ship.
Oldworldman

Post by Oldworldman »

Well that is good to know. I saw the pot values on the original RIC wiring schematic and noted that they were the 250K and 500K. I will keep your advice in mind should I have to deal with that area of the circuit.

When did they stop supplying the original pot values? When did they change? Was it an improvement in the sound? I guess I would have to judge that for myself and install them and see.

The newest RIC bass I have is an 83 4001.

I am assuming that the harness assemblies that pick of the ricks is selling has the newer pots installed. The description does not tell you that.

I would have to inquire, but assuming they are using readily available RIC factory parts, I would assume that they are using the newer pots not what the schematic says.

Thank you so much for the advice.
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

The current value pots RIC uses take some of the clarity out of the tone. I wouldn't put them in a new bass, let alone a true vintage bass. While restoring a vintage harness obviously costs more, I build new harnesses to the original specs for only a few bucks more than the stuff RIC sells, and my harnesses are complete with the output jacks installed and tested. RIC stopped building harness to the original specs at least 15 years ago, and charges $10 each for 330K pots that are usually 10% under spec.
Oldworldman

Post by Oldworldman »

I saw that you are selling them on Ebay. I may just buy the whole thing from you and try it out with the push/pull mod.

I am sure it will fix my problem I am having permanently and I may discover new improvements. If I do, I will equip all of my RIC basses with your rebuilt harnesses!

Could I purchase the harness you have on Ebay now and then pay the end of next week?

Let me know.

Thanks!
Ashgray
Intermediate Member

Post by Ashgray »

Oldworldman wrote:I saw that you are selling them on Ebay. I may just buy the whole thing from you and try it out with the push/pull mod.

I am sure it will fix my problem I am having permanently and I may discover new improvements. If I do, I will equip all of my RIC basses with your rebuilt harnesses!

Could I purchase the harness you have on Ebay now and then pay the end of next week?

Let me know.

Thanks!
My best advice in this situation would be - buy one of Dane's harnesses - they're superb!

I have them fitted currently into my 4001V63 and my 4002, and the difference they make to the tone, due to the specs of the components he uses, has to be heard to be believed! I've just taken delivery of a Rick 4004 and have already asked Dane to put together a new harness for it. His work is top-drawer and I cannot recommend it more highly

Ash
Last edited by Ashgray on Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1976 4001 "Shadow" Fretless
1978 4002 Walnut
1986 4008 Silver
1999 4001 V63 White
2012 4004 Jetglo

Button 6 String Fretfull
Button 6 String Fretless
NS CR5 Omni Bass Fretless
Ashbory Bass
Oldworldman

Post by Oldworldman »

Yeah Ash I can tell. I have a degree in electronics and I can spot good work when I see it. I am waiting for his approval then I am going to hit "Buy it now"

Thanks for the up post on Dane.
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

Sure. I'll build it, then ship after you pay. Since you have a '73, I'll use Sprague tone caps instead of the ones in the auction. Put a note to me via ebay about which bass you have. You could also just wait till pay day and hit it then. I build these to order anyway, so you'll still get the same harness.
Oldworldman

Post by Oldworldman »

Yes that sounds fantastic! Your Ebay item ends in a day so I did not know if you are going to relist it or what?

I have a 1973 4001 Jetglow that needs its wiring dealt with. I want the tone mod installed. If I can hit buy it now next week I will do it then. Just send me a link or renew this listing that is on eBay now next week and I will just buy it then. I will send you a message on my paypal message of what bass I want the harness built for, or just build it for a 1973 RIC 4001.

Thanks so much!
Ric5150

Post by Ric5150 »

Todd - If the pots and/or capacitors in your old harness are original, do make sure you put it in a safe place (but not so safe you can't find it yourself :wink: ) and include it with the bass if you ever happen to sell it. Collectors are collectors and "original" is nearly always "better" than better, so keeping the originals around will help with collector value.

(I noticed nobody had responded to that part of your question.)
Life is suffering; the cause of suffering is desire. Envy is a deadly sin. Save your soul, go ahead and buy another one....
Oldworldman

Post by Oldworldman »

Yes Dan That is what I plan to do! Absolutely! I may even go as far as troubleshooting it and fixing it so the next owner can reinstall it and it work 100%.

Thanks for the peer check!
Oldworldman

Post by Oldworldman »

Well I have solved the problem with the bleed through on the ric-o-sound. The switch on the standard jack was slammed shut shorting everything out as that is kind of what I suspected the reason I checked that first.

So I bent the tab gently back and the problem went away. Who is to say that when I shove it back in the hole, it shorts out again?

At least I know the problem. This new harness should solve the other tone issues I am having as well such as wrong pots and possibly wrong pot values as well on the volume knobs.

I changed the neck pickup to a 1970's era Hi gain pickup as well so that should give me what I am looking for on the bass side.

There was a toaster in there before.
Oldworldman

Post by Oldworldman »

Well, I got in Dane's wonderfully built wire harnesses in and installed it in the 1973 4001.

It gave me a great base level starting point as to why this guitar sounds so different than my 80's Autumnglow.

I have boiled it down to just the physical makeup of the guitar, which is way different, the stock RIC bridge and how the guitar is setup.

Thank you Dane (aceonbass) for building me a great harness to help me solve these mysteries.

I kept the stock wiring out of the 73 RIC Jetglow. Could I send this harness back to you Dane for service?

PM me and let me know the charge for this.

Thanks.

Return to “"Vibrola" Rickenbacker Technical Forum: By Paul Wilczynski”