Safe soldering

Setup, repair and restoration of Rickenbacker Instruments

Moderator: jingle_jangle

cassius987

Safe soldering

Post by cassius987 »

I understand that lead solder is still available in many places, though RIC does not use it. As I have a problem that seems to be from cold solder joints (for what feels like the hundredth time), I have some questions for the forum's many soldering experts before attempting repair. I'm fairly certain my rosin-core solder, purchased from RadioShack 5 years ago, contains some lead as there is no mention of it being "lead-free".

1. Is leaded solder safe, or just relatively unregulated for public sale? I know it is an environmental pollutant when improperly disposed of. What I am not sure of is the fumes. I have read that at normal soldering temperatures, the fumes contain no lead. At higher temps, lead enters the fumes. Again, so the internet says. I don't understand why RIC won't use it but RadioShack (etc.) still sell it. Maybe the California location, or perhaps (admirably) a desire to prevent further lead deposition into the environment...

2. Following up on the last question, is it best to work in a well-ventilated area when soldering? I imagine there are no cheap forms of respiratory protection. Many, which are inappropriate, actually worsen inhalation exposures to some toxicants, so I won't be taking any risks with this.

3. What is the best lead-free solder? Even if solder fumes are "safe", I'd rather not further contribute to heavy metals entering into the environment even if it's just a tiny bit.

4. Why is it that every time I go manipulating my wiring harness I lose signal from the instrument and have to hunt down a cold joint? Especially whenever I remove the pickguard with the harness installed so I can wipe away dust underneath or do some other work, and leave the harness installed. Should I always take the nuts off and let the pots rest in the harness cavity instead of leaving them attached?
jps
RRF Consultant

Re: Safe soldering

Post by jps »

RIC uses lead-free solder because they sell their product worldwide, and RoHS requirements (primarily, Europe AFAIK) dictate the use of it. For RIC, it is much easier to not have to segregate product for US consumption, which makes sense. In the job I have, I build medical testing devices and do use both leaded and unleaded solder depending on where it is going to. I have only one workstation so I have to change out the setup as needed, a bit of a PITA to keep track of.

As to fumes, just work in a reasonably ventilated area and there won't be an issue. We have a system that created negative pressure right at the workstations, nothing major just a 4" flexible duct going to a blower to suck out the fumes in that area.

As to lead getting into the environment, well, that is where it came from in the first place! Europe may have been grossly negligent in environmental issues over the decades so now they mandate that we protect them through the RoHS initiative. Ugh!
Ric5150

Post by Ric5150 »

You pretty much need to be soldering all day every day to have to worry much about lead solder fumes. Stick with a ventilated area and you should be fine.

With regard to having so many cold joints, does it happen to be a 2005 or so model? If so, the use of early lead-free solder might be the problem. The EU prohibited lead solder before suitable replacements were available. Otherwise, it's probably poor workmanship on you particular guitar.

I work in the defense electronics field and we still use lead solder as the reliability of lead-free solders still isn't where it needs to be for military avionic electronics. Even military stuff going to EU countries is exempt, but commercial electronics are stuck with lead-free.

I think the state of California jumped on the lead-free bandwagon with the EU, so RIC may be stuck with it regardless of a given guitar's destination.
Life is suffering; the cause of suffering is desire. Envy is a deadly sin. Save your soul, go ahead and buy another one....
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Ric5150 wrote:YI work in the defense electronics field and we still use lead solder as the reliability of lead-free solders still isn't where it needs to be for military avionic electronics. Even military stuff going to EU countries is exempt, but commercial electronics are stuck with lead-free.
Yeah, basically, the aerospace/defense industries are exempt because they know that lead-free solder sucks. Everyone else has to suck it up and accept c-r-a-p solder.

Return to “"Vibrola" Rickenbacker Technical Forum: By Paul Wilczynski”