Binding - 4001 Rick Bass

Setup, repair and restoration of Rickenbacker Instruments

Moderator: jingle_jangle

gschank

Binding - 4001 Rick Bass

Post by gschank »

The white binding on my 1972 Jet Black bass with checkerboard binding has dried out and small areas have chipped away. Is there a recommended replacement product, and if so, will it affect the vintage value? It is in great shape and all original. I am in southern California. Any recommended techs? Thanks.
jps
RRF Consultant

Re: Binding - 4001 Rick Bass

Post by jps »

Good, clear, close-up photos would help.
teb
Advanced Member

Post by teb »

Replacing binding is not a job for an amateur or someone unfamiliar with working on Rickenbackers. Since the binding is under the varnish it may involve refinishing part or all of the bass. The collector market is extremely picky about mods, repairs and refins to "vintage" instruments (and often for no good reason, but they're heavily into the "relic" BS) so to a lot of people, fixing it up may certainly harm the resale value. To others of us, we would like our old instruments to look as pristine as possible and refinishing or repairs are just fine, but if you intend to sell it any time in the near future, I'd leave it alone.
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

gschank wrote:... I am in southern California. Any recommended techs? Thanks.
I would recommend that you talk with Steve Soest at Soest Guitars (http://www.soestguitar.com/3.html) which is SoCal. He doesn't list binding work on his site, but he might be able to give you an idea of what the cost would be.

FWIW, I concur that it might be better to leave it alone. As Jeff pointed out, good, clear close-up photos would help us in assessing the situation.
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca

Return to “"Vibrola" Rickenbacker Technical Forum: By Paul Wilczynski”