Dumb truss rods question

Setup, repair and restoration of Rickenbacker Instruments

Moderator: jingle_jangle

kt66

Dumb truss rods question

Post by kt66 »

I need to straighten a bow, too much relief on my 98 360/6, all research here and elsewhere says
I need to tighten clockwise. However................that is for both rods is it? the same amount on each rod?
sorry to be so dumb
thanks
maxwell

Re: Dumb truss rods question

Post by maxwell »

Start here, page 5: http://www.rickenbacker.com/pdfs/manual.pdf

Since you have too much relief (an "under bow"), turn the truss rod adjustment nuts clockwise/tighten, as noted in the manual.

Turn both to the same degree of "tightness" (one nut may already be more loose than the other). I turn only 1/4 turn at a time once both adjustment nuts are snug. I'm never in a rush, and while adjustment results should be immediately apparent, I wait overnight, then check/adjust as needed; probably don't have to do that. Check relief with both "e" strings and if you see a difference, adjust one nut accordingly. If you can't turn your nut driver/handle by hand, then you may have to go to Plan B, which may be loosening the nuts, clamping/securing the guitar body down on a table/work bench, carefully bending the neck with one hand while snugging up the nuts with the other (much like in the manner of adjusting the old Ricks). There's some info within this site about that as well on page 5 of the user's manual.... You can always take it to a Rick-experienced tech or luthier if you find yourself stuck.

Just wait here for a couple of more days -- weekends can be slow on web sites. I'm sure someone else will chime in.
kt66

Re: Dumb truss rods question

Post by kt66 »

many thanks

Return to “"Vibrola" Rickenbacker Technical Forum: By Paul Wilczynski”