310/330/610 schem: "C3 replaced by a shunt on newer models"

Setup, repair and restoration of Rickenbacker Instruments

Moderator: jingle_jangle

øøøøøøø

310/330/610 schem: "C3 replaced by a shunt on newer models"

Post by øøøøøøø »

Hey there, first post. I did a search and couldn't come up with anything, so apologies if this has been asked and answered.

The schematic for the 5-control, 2 pickup mono guitars here: http://www.rickenbacker.com/pdfs/19511.pdf

...shows a capacitor (C3) on the schematic in series with the "hot" of the bridge pickup. This would serve as a "strangle" cap, reducing low end from the bridge pickup.

There's also an asterisk with a note on the schematic saying "C3 replaced by a shunt on newer models," which would indicate that the cap was removed and replaced by straight wire at some point.

My question is "when?" At what point, approximately, did this occur (does anyone know?). I've just bought a used 330/12 (1999) and was wondering whether I could expect that guitar to have the "strangle" cap or not.

Thanks for any info!
jps
RRF Consultant

Re: 310/330/610 schem: "C3 replaced by a shunt on newer mode

Post by jps »

IIRC the change over was in the early to mid 1980s. Pull off your pickguard and look for a smaller, third capacitor compared to the two larger ones for the tone controls. If it is there and you want to experiment wrap a piece of wire around the two leads of that cap to shunt it.This is an easy way to see which sound you prefer and requires no more talent than to be able to tie one's shoes. :mrgreen:
øøøøøøø

Re: 310/330/610 schem: "C3 replaced by a shunt on newer mode

Post by øøøøøøø »

Thanks for your help!

Return to “"Vibrola" Rickenbacker Technical Forum: By Paul Wilczynski”