Bent Truss Rod Nuts?

Setup, repair and restoration of Rickenbacker Instruments

Moderator: jingle_jangle

sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Bent Truss Rod Nuts?

Post by sloop_john_b »

Hi guys, I recently picked up a 1982 330 that has a slight bow in the neck. I took off the TRC to adjust, but the truss rod nuts are wedged completely against the headstock, so I can't get a wrench around them.

What's the best way to remedy this?

Thanks!
scotty

Re: Bent Truss Rod Nuts?

Post by scotty »

Hi John hoping your well.
Can you maybe make small channel under the ends with a chisel to get the tool under?

I had a rod once that was like that and I very gently lifted it up with a screw driver to get tool under it.
I was cautious in the extreme doing it but it worked.
radapaw

Post by radapaw »

assuming there are hairpin rods, I had this issue with a 4001, I clamped the fingerboard/neck to reduce stress, while very gently bending them up again with a little prying with a flathead and pliers if I recall ( I replaced the nuts so I wasn't worried about marring the metal.) It would probably be a good idea to tap the rods out, rebend them and clean them up, (replace the tape, recut the thread, and reinstall.)
collin

Post by collin »

scotty wrote:
I had a rod once that was like that and I very gently lifted it up with a screw driver to get tool under it.
I was cautious in the extreme doing it but it worked.
That's what I've done. Flat blade screwdriver, gently lifting it up enough to get the wrench on.

Also, the end of the Rickenbacker style TR adjustment tool is way too thick. I turned mine on a bench grinder (or you could do with a hand file) to thin the side walls of the wrench, and also give it a taper edge toward the front, so it's easier to slide onto the old style TR nuts. That's especially necessary when they're bent backwards like that.

I'll post a pic later of my modified wrench.
scotty

Post by scotty »

Any news?
collin

Post by collin »

Here's my modified TR nut tool. Just taper the edge so it fits easier under back-bent adjuster nuts. Takes two minutes with a bench grinder.
Attachments
IMG_8624.jpg

Return to “"Vibrola" Rickenbacker Technical Forum: By Paul Wilczynski”