Toaster coil sound without the cover

Setup, repair and restoration of Rickenbacker Instruments

Moderator: jingle_jangle

wim
Intermediate Member

Toaster coil sound without the cover

Post by wim »

Is it me, or is it possible that a toaster pickup sounds slightly brighter and more open when it is in a hi gain jacket, instead of wearing the toaster cover?
Could that little strip of metal above the pole pieces have a noticeable effect?
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Re: Toaster coil sound without the cover

Post by aceonbass »

All of RIC's stamped pickup covers are brass, which is non magnetic, and therefore has no effect on the pickup's magnetic field.
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

Non-magnetic, yes. No effect on a static magnetic field, true. No effect on the sound? We'll, it's possible.
A fluctuating magnetic field (which is how the pickup generates the sound signal) can cause eddy currents to flow in any nearby conductor. This would change the signal by some amount.
Could you tell by listening? Who knows, but I'm sure you could measure it..
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
wim
Intermediate Member

Post by wim »

It'll probably be due to the pickup position, I'm comparing this pup in a 330w to 21 fret reissue models.
soundmasterg
RRF Consultant

Post by soundmasterg »

aceonbass wrote:All of RIC's stamped pickup covers are brass, which is non magnetic, and therefore has no effect on the pickup's magnetic field.
Brass has a lot of copper and is more conductive, and the more conductive, the more eddy currents are generated on the covers which resist the AC signal, so you get muddy waters. I'd imagine that if they were aluminum or nickel silver covers they might be even brighter than they are. Tele neck pickup covers are brass also.

Greg
cassius987

Post by cassius987 »

wim wrote:It'll probably be due to the pickup position, I'm comparing this pup in a 330w to 21 fret reissue models.
Yeah -- if this is not a true apples-to-apples comparison I wouldn't bother considering it. Pickup position has a major influence on sound, moreso even than the strings in many ways.

I have noticed the little metal strip can cause changes to the sound if it is moving, though. This is a small microphonic noise. Probably less likely on guitar (on bass, your finger touches the cover).
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

21 vs 24 frets is a huge difference in sound due to position.

Return to “"Vibrola" Rickenbacker Technical Forum: By Paul Wilczynski”