Capacitor manufacturer?

Setup, repair and restoration of Rickenbacker Instruments

Moderator: jingle_jangle

Marn99

Capacitor manufacturer?

Post by Marn99 »

Does anyone know who the manufacturer was of the small 0.0047 turquoise capacitors used in the 60s like the one in the photo below? Furthermore, were those used throughout the 60s or did early 60s ricks have a different one?
Hotzenplotz
Intermediate Member

Re: Capacitor manufacturer?

Post by Hotzenplotz »

A '58 360 capri is looking inside like this:
Attachments
Rickenbacker_360_Capri_1958_Phil-X_2_2T201_66.jpg
collin

Post by collin »

They were used from 62 or 63 until the late 60s (I have seen '69 harnesses without these).

That said - those little capacitors are the worst! I'm not sure what that capacitor aimed to accomplish, but the single biggest improvement anybody can make in the tone of a 60s era Rick is to cut one end of that capacitor off (or unsolder it). Doing this completely opens up the tonal spectrum, better bass and treble response etc.

I probably have a few of those sitting in my parts drawers.
Marn99

Post by Marn99 »

If you do have one in your parts drawer, does it say anything on the side opposite of the one that says 4.7 nF 400v?
collin

Post by collin »

Marn99 wrote:If you do have one in your parts drawer, does it say anything on the side opposite of the one that says 4.7 nF 400v?
No, they're blank on the other side.

The big blue caps are made by AJAX but that doesn't necessarily mean the small turquoise one is too.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

collin wrote:... those little capacitors are the worst! I'm not sure what that capacitor aimed to accomplish, but the single biggest improvement anybody can make in the tone of a 60s era Rick is to cut one end of that capacitor off (or unsolder it). Doing this completely opens up the tonal spectrum, better bass and treble response etc.
Wouldn't doing so just render the bridge pickup out of circuit, altogether?

If I am seeing the photo correctly, shunting it or replacing it with a piece of wire would be the way to do this, right?
Marn99

Post by Marn99 »

Okay so I did some reading, and it appears that the identity of the original manufacturer of the little turquoise caps is a bit of a mystery. However, I also learned that RIC occasionally used radial blue molded Ajax caps, which are much more readily available. As for whether or not you want it in your guitar, isn't there a mod that involves putting a push/pull pot on the 5th knob where you can bring that .0047 cap in or out of the picture whenever you want it?
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

I have several of these NOS .0047 caps in stock. These were used in all 4001's till about 1985, and guitars up untill the early 70's.
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

I should clarify that the turquois caps were made by Seacor, and used up until around 1970. After that, RIC used yellow Cornell-Dubillier caps in the .0047uF value. I have NOS stock of both caps.
espidog

Post by espidog »

jps wrote: Wouldn't doing so just render the bridge pickup out of circuit, altogether?

If I am seeing the photo correctly, shunting it or replacing it with a piece of wire would be the way to do this, right?
Correct.
2004 4003 JetGlo
Epiphone Jack Casady
Ovation Magnum 1
Mania VTB-4BS
Dean Stylist w/ John Birch Magnum II pups
Yamaha BB414
Trace Elliot VA350/GP11 Mk1
Peavey TB-Raxx
2 BFM Omni 10.5 crossfire cabs
Roland Bass Cube 100
Marn99

Post by Marn99 »

aceonbass wrote:I should clarify that the turquois caps were made by Seacor, and used up until around 1970. After that, RIC used yellow Cornell-Dubillier caps in the .0047uF value. I have NOS stock of both caps.
Well there we go! Not so much of a mystery anymore, thanks!

Return to “"Vibrola" Rickenbacker Technical Forum: By Paul Wilczynski”