Best Multi-Guitar Stand for Finishes

Exceptional restoration is in the details

Moderator: jingle_jangle

deaconblues
RRF Consultant

Best Multi-Guitar Stand for Finishes

Post by deaconblues »

Paul-
My roommate and I are thinking of buying a large, multi-guitar stand to hold the myriad of instruments in our dorm. At the risk of asking a question that's been answered many times, what is the best one to get that won't ruin finishes? Or, short of that, how could I cover the padding to make it non-reactive? Thanks!
sharkboy

Re: Best Multi-Guitar Stand for Finishes

Post by sharkboy »

I'm going to guess the Rickenbacker one is pretty darned great. I have a similar Fender one, but it has a "brothel-esque" appearance (with the red velvety interior.)
deaconblues
RRF Consultant

Post by deaconblues »

I was thinking more storage, and a lot less money.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

I'm going to pass on this one, as the multi-stands that I buy and use are not too favored by the majority of RRF folks, even though I've got 4 of them and have used them for years with nary a dent or finish smudge. I recall another (though pricier) modular stand being recommended by several Forumites, perhaps they could chime in?

Fo individual stands, I've started buying Hercules stands--they are extremely well-made, don't get in the way for photography, and are easily adjustable and sturdy as all get out.

I'm finishing up the design of a laser-cut clear acrylic stand that is intended for photography only. It'll be virtually invisible, and will leave no shadow to Photoshop out.
Advanced Member

Post by 1965 »

Paul, give us the scoop, what do you use? I'm using a Warwick Rockstand right now. It's ok, but it's lacking in the padding department. Those Hercules stands are hideous. I'm sure they're good stands, but I can't get over the looks.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

I am a big fan of Quik-Lok stands.

I have one of these.

http://www.quiklok.com/catalog/?p=produ ... ame=GS-430

You can get one to hold 5 or 7 instruments, also.

Here is mine.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Yes, that's the one. Thanks, Jeff!
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Wes, I've got four of the Warwick 7-place Rock-Stands--two in my office, one at home, and one in our practice space. Others don't like them, but I've got no complaints. The padding does crush with thin heavy guitars, but I move the guitars or basses over every so often, and they are fine. No problems after two years plus, with any finish softening or hazing.

I agree--the Herc stands look like they should say "DeWalt" on 'em, but when a geetar or bass is hanging, all you see are two fingers on the neck and a couple of little padded feet poking out the bottom. I can deal with that.
Advanced Member

Post by 1965 »

Yep, it's fine for my new 5.5 pound 325, but my Les Paul (which isn't even very heavy for a Les Paul) can really crush it. It would be better if the tubes inside the padding were round, but mine are square. As you can see in the photo, I've added a towel to the bottom for a little more protection. Other than that it's just dandy. I like the simplicity, just wish the padding was better.
_WMP1670.jpg
deaconblues
RRF Consultant

Post by deaconblues »

Thank you, gentlemen.

Rockstands were actually what I was thinking about, but I was unsure of how it would affect the finish...guess the jury's still out on that one.
bitzerguy
RRF Consultant

Post by bitzerguy »

I use a rockstand, but I took some advise from JH a couple of years ago and covered the padding with surgical tubing. No problems at all.
...Dean
Never, ever drool on your surf shirt. It wrecks the solo.

660/12FG, 350V63/6FG, 620/6JG, 360WB/6DBG, Dingwall C1 #001, Prestige Heritage Elite FM
sharkboy

Post by sharkboy »

I have a Rockstand, but avoid using it. If I do, I use it very temporarily and usually cover guitar-touching surfaces with a piece of fabric or a towel.

The black padding creeps me out a little. Maybe the towel is so I don't touch the padding as much as for the guitar.
bottom4
Veteran RRF member

Post by bottom4 »

I use Quik Lok also - just like Jeff's
bassduke49

Post by bassduke49 »

I bought three of the Quick Lok five-stall stands and like them very much. They can be had on-line from Full Compass for about $50 per:

http://www.fullcompass.com/product/249259.html
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

The RockStand caused yellowing on my long-gone 370/12 BB. I still use it, I just don't leave my nice guitars on it for prolonged amounts of time anymore.

Return to “Reflections of a Curmudgeon: by Paul Wilczynski”