Removing fretresidu

Exceptional restoration is in the details

Moderator: jingle_jangle

berth
RRF Consultant

Re: Removing fretresidu

Post by berth »

Grainger wrote:He's willing to send to CONEU, still not sure if it would fit though
Not without modification. This came from a neck which was most likely wider than yours.
68 4001|73 4001 MG|75 4000 MG|79 4001 JG FL|81 4001S AZG|86 4003 MID/BT|86 4003 Shadow|88 4003s Blackstar|89 4003 Grey/BT FL|93 4004 Ci|96 4003S/8 FG|98 4003S/5 JG|05 650D|05 4004Cii/5 TG|08 660/12 JG|18 4003S/5 MID|19 4003S/5 WAL ||TR35B|RB 30||
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Good idea on the dental pick...I've got a lot of these that I've accumulated over decades of doing fine fabrication work. Frankly, it never occurred to me to try this method; then again, I've only been doing luthiery for about 5 years!

I really like this idea--let me know how it works out!
Grainger

Post by Grainger »

Hi Paul,

It's a side path from your method, but a method nonetheless. I'm pretty confident this might work. If it doesn't work out you'll be the first to know.

The levering method is just something I'm hoping will work before I unbind the whole neck. If this works it's quicker than unbinding the neck, I guess.
Will keep you updated!
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Yep--please do. I suppose I haven't heard of it (or figured it out myself) because I've not run across a fretless "conversion attempt" that left the tangs in the 'board.
Grainger

Post by Grainger »

I can understand that, no-one in their right mind would leave the tangs in the fretboard. This is highly unusual.

I guess thursday is the day I'll make some more progress. That is, if the dentist instruments are in and if the pickguard and screws are in. Otherwise it will be prolonged by another week to wednesday next week
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

Another issue I can think of with the drilling and dental tool method will be the actual drilling itself. Those tiny drill bits are prone to wander all over the place and keeping it in the metal and out of the soft wood might be a challenge. DO NOT try this with a hand held drill...
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Yup. And you will need a SHARP center punch and steady hand. DO NOT try drilling this, even with a drill press (pillar drill), without first center-punching it!

Y'know, you can try one of these:
239025068_d16ed03529.jpg
Oh, wait--they're not magnetic...
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

But they are conductive. So, you might have better luck with one of these:
Superconducting Magnet.jpg
Just put the guitar in the field and rapidly accelerate it away from the frets. The induced electrical and magnetic eddy currents will probably pull the frets... or it might just melt them... :shock:

Oh wait, a guitar would be too big to fit in the field...
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

Seriously though, if you have access to a milling machine (and someone who knows how to run it), you could easily use a small end mill bit to cut away just about the entire fret tang, leaving just a thin shell (or maybe less) that would pull out easily...

This would also be an excellent machine for drilling the center too...
Grainger

Post by Grainger »

Thanks for those tips! I was thinking of a stationary drill. And I will punch the center, I once had a drill wandering over a piece of lacquer, didn't really came out nice! :mrgreen:
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

cjj wrote:Seriously though, if you have access to a milling machine (and someone who knows how to run it), you could easily use a small end mill bit to cut away just about the entire fret tang, leaving just a thin shell (or maybe less) that would pull out easily...

I dunno, CJ... that's a .025" (roughly) wide tang, and a .025" end mill is an awfully delicate thing. I don't think it would work...

But I do agree about it being good to drill the fret tang centers, once they're center-punched.
wim
Intermediate Member

Post by wim »

you could find such mill at a jewelers tool suplies store.
A diamond coated one would do great if you are very very carefull.
At the least bit of twist these things break.
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

jingle_jangle wrote:
cjj wrote:Seriously though, if you have access to a milling machine (and someone who knows how to run it), you could easily use a small end mill bit to cut away just about the entire fret tang, leaving just a thin shell (or maybe less) that would pull out easily...

I dunno, CJ... that's a .025" (roughly) wide tang, and a .025" end mill is an awfully delicate thing. I don't think it would work...

But I do agree about it being good to drill the fret tang centers, once they're center-punched.
True, I guess I should have found out the size before I spoke. :oops: Not that .025" mills can't be used on things like this, but depth becomes an issue.

Of course, a .025" drill bit is a mighty delicate thing too. Unless the idea is to drill a hole bigger than the width of the fret tang and cover it with the top part of the fret. But then, trying to keep that going straight will be a chore even with a center punched start...

Perhaps an industrial laser...
:lol:
wim
Intermediate Member

Post by wim »

I'm not kidding. With something like this;

http://www.riogrande.com/MemberArea/Pro ... off+Wheels

in combination with this ;

http://www.riogrande.com/MemberArea/Pro ... 68=Diamond

and some patience and a steady hand or a drill press, you could remove the metal without having to remove the bindings.
wim
Intermediate Member

Post by wim »

you could also try to remove the trussrods and bend the neck back until they fall out off course.
seriously worth the try :mrgreen:

Return to “Reflections of a Curmudgeon: by Paul Wilczynski”