How Legal Is This?

Exceptional restoration is in the details

Moderator: jingle_jangle

bluegrassmoker

Re: How Legal Is This?

Post by bluegrassmoker »

thanks for your insight eric
http://www.sundlofengineering.com

Modifications, Restorations, Innovations and one of a kind creations...

http://www.myspace.com/patrickgrigsbysundlof
Ivan3000
Advanced Member

Post by Ivan3000 »

bluegrassmoker wrote:thanks for your insight eric
I still wouldn't do it, it is still illegal, and you very well can get in trouble for doing so. :mrgreen:
wim
Intermediate Member

Post by wim »

A battle of wits can end abruptly with a reality check.

An article I recently read about 3D printing, patents, trademark & -dress, copyrights, concluded the following (in short);

Any item which infringes the above protections is illegal when produced for commercial use.
It is not 'illegal' to do so for home use, which does not mean is doesn't infringe the above or makes it legal to ever sell it.
In fact it's technically illegal, but not in reality because you will not get prosecuted.

3D printing is a serious threat to my business, as this makes it too easy to copy items without even having shrink-related problems or even get around a design that was build to be unmoldable.

Link to the article:
http://www.iusmentis.com/innovatie/3d-p ... -eigendom/
(attention: this is European, written in dutch)
electrofaro

Post by electrofaro »

IvanMunoz wrote:I still wouldn't do it, it is still illegal, and you very well can get in trouble for doing so. :mrgreen:
Ivan is right, and maybe a good line to end this topic with? :?:
'67 Fender Coronado II CAB * '17 1963 ES-335 PB * currently rickless
Ivan3000
Advanced Member

Post by Ivan3000 »

Wildberry wrote:
IvanMunoz wrote:I still wouldn't do it, it is still illegal, and you very well can get in trouble for doing so. :mrgreen:
Ivan is right, and maybe a good line to end this topic with? :?:
Sure!

Just because you won't usually get in trouble Patrick doesn't mean you're invincible. If JH sees this on a bad day, you could very well be in hot water.
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

wim wrote:
In fact it's technically illegal, but not in reality because you will not get prosecuted.
Well, I suppose, to some extent, that would depend on how much you publicize the fact.

And then, most of these laws, while fairly similar, do differ from country to country. So, if planning on doing something that may infringe, you might want to check with a lawyer first...
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...

Return to “Reflections of a Curmudgeon: by Paul Wilczynski”