Offset bridge question, Fender Jazzmaster CP MIM

Exceptional restoration is in the details

Moderator: jingle_jangle

Grey
Advanced Member

Re: Offset bridge question, Fender Jazzmaster CP MIM

Post by Grey »

jdogric12 wrote:Neat!

Update... I bought a replacement neck since the stock one was un-set-uppable. The replacement I bought turned out to be a counterfeit. I'm currently going through the process to get my money back through an eBay Buyer Protection claim. If I ever get this mess sorted and get a neck on the guitar that works, I'll look into the bridge! :evil:

Nice JM, PW!!! :D
I play mine the way it came from the factory and it works perfectly.

Just saying. Spending alot of money to fix what isn't broken.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Stock one was unsetupable? What was the issue???
egosheep
Intermediate Member

Post by egosheep »

Grey wrote:
jdogric12 wrote:Neat!

Update... I bought a replacement neck since the stock one was un-set-uppable. The replacement I bought turned out to be a counterfeit. I'm currently going through the process to get my money back through an eBay Buyer Protection claim. If I ever get this mess sorted and get a neck on the guitar that works, I'll look into the bridge! :evil:

Nice JM, PW!!! :D
I play mine the way it came from the factory and it works perfectly.

Just saying. Spending alot of money to fix what isn't broken.
Maybe he just got a lemon... it's possible.
Great Ramp In My Opinion.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Seems to be a lemon. There is a hump on the treble side, around the second fret. If you sight that side of the neck you can see it in not only the frets, fretboard, but also the neck itself. I bought it on TGP and have contacted the seller about meeting me halfway on a replacement, but he doesnt' seem interested. He refuses to believe anything is wrong. It was his son's guitar and the son never complained about it. Gee thanks, guy. :lol: :(
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

In other news, the eBay case regarding the coutnerfeit replacement neck I bought has been decided in my favor. They said to send the seller the neck back, and get a signature confirmation. :? I was hoping since it was an illegal sale, they'd want the item themselves, but I guess they're not interested in pursuing the legality of it. Shoudl I report him to Fender, I guess?
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Hump...too bad. I've got all sorts of Fender necks and mostly in outrageously figured maple, but have not seen any like that! The ignorant seller makes it a perfect storm, I guess.

I'd report the counterfeit joker to Fender legal...
egosheep
Intermediate Member

Post by egosheep »

How did you know it was counterfeit? Handmade, or just allparts or something?
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Took it to a local shop that's an authorized FCS dealer. He spotted it right away, and showed me 5 or 6 telltale signs. Thinner lining on the CS logo was one, quality and shape were another. Also, the block inlay would have been an $1800 upgrade on a CS neck. No way a neck like that would sell for $360.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

I'm amazed that anybody would sit still for a set of factory-made inlays for an extra $1800.00.

NAMM was an eye-opener this year, as usual...the Fender booth had at least 1000 instruments on display, and fully 400 were "Custom Shop" instruments with price tags ranging from $4950.00 (early P-Bass "Relic" copy) up to $170,000.00 for a jewel-encrusted Strat.

The most production was in the $6000.00 range, with probably half the CS stuff on show being series-made non-"Master-Built" guitars and basses that were interesting, but mostly not that radical nor original in concept or execution. It seems that $6000.00 is the new $1500.00 in the guitar biz!
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

jingle_jangle wrote:It seems that $6000.00 is the new $1500.00 in the guitar biz!
Shhhh! Don't let John or Ben hear that!
:shock: :shock: :lol:
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
egosheep
Intermediate Member

Post by egosheep »

jingle_jangle wrote:I'm amazed that anybody would sit still for a set of factory-made inlays for an extra $1800.00.

NAMM was an eye-opener this year, as usual...the Fender booth had at least 1000 instruments on display, and fully 400 were "Custom Shop" instruments with price tags ranging from $4950.00 (early P-Bass "Relic" copy) up to $170,000.00 for a jewel-encrusted Strat.

The most production was in the $6000.00 range, with probably half the CS stuff on show being series-made non-"Master-Built" guitars and basses that were interesting, but mostly not that radical nor original in concept or execution. It seems that $6000.00 is the new $1500.00 in the guitar biz!
In defense of Fender, the new Johnny Marr Jaguar seems like a steal at $1699. That's the same price as an AVRI, for a guitar with boutique pickups, custom neck shape, custom body contours, upgraded bridge and tremolo, custom electronics, etc. It was also prototyped by Johnny for over 3 years, which seems unprecedented. It definitely bucks the Fender and Gibson tradition of overpriced and underwhelming "slap a name on em" signature guitars.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

I believe the Johhnie Marr is made in Mexico, which would explain the low MSRP. I saw one at the show and was very impressed--it's a beauty, no question.

I'm a big Fender fan (I think one of my first posts on this Forum was to contrast Fender with RIC in terms of philosophy and corporate culture).

But I am not a big fan of the supercorporate mindset that pervades. It equates guitars with hamburgers, soft drinks, insurance, and lawn mowers--it's all "product" that must be "moved" in order to satisfy the stockholders and feed a self-generated, ever-more-frantic demand for more. This makes quality of construction, tradition, and craft all tangent to the main quest.

You've read all this before from me. I own and have owned lots of Fenders over the years, and will continue to enjoy those that are affordable, well-built, unique, and speak to my heart and head.

Gibson? I don't want to go there this morning... :|
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

jingle_jangle wrote: Gibson? I don't want to go there this morning... :|
Ah, but what if Dick Dale had played an SG instead of a Strat? :D
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

I think that question is among those that are answered in Steven King's new book 11/22/63. :mrgreen:

And I am a fan of a lot of Gibson guitars. My first NEW guitar was a '64 SG and I wish I'd never traded it away. I'm also sorry I let go of my '70 Les Paul Personal. Both of these are difficult to replace today...I've owned Gibson acoustics, a Les Paul Custom, and a Howard Roberts. Nothing lately, though.

In this case, the products reflect corporate culture, which at Gibson is currently indescribably chaotic...when the current CEO took over the company many years ago and revived it, I was an admirer. But hell hath no fury like a customer abandoned...
egosheep
Intermediate Member

Post by egosheep »

Paul, I'm in total agreement with you about overpriced, unnessary and gaudy Fenders. The Marr is the only bright spot I see. And while I can't find a source right now, I do think it's a USA model. When's the last time you have seen a MIM guitar with a nitro finish? :)

Return to “Reflections of a Curmudgeon: by Paul Wilczynski”