Offset bridge question, Fender Jazzmaster CP MIM

Exceptional restoration is in the details

Moderator: jingle_jangle

jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Re: Offset bridge question, Fender Jazzmaster CP MIM

Post by jingle_jangle »

There's always a first time...I can't see them losing money by making it in the USA, but I am not privy to their financial shenanigans, just aware of things like rough cost, burden and markup...
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

egosheep wrote:When's the last time you have seen a MIM guitar with a nitro finish? :)
My Road Worn P...
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

About that current Gibson CEO, I've heard (from a very reputable long time vintage guitar dealer, one of the rare honest ones) that a janitor stopped him in the hallway to thank him for giving him that job and how much it meant to him and his family. CEO had the guy fired for that. Is this true? I don't know, but it wouldn't surprise me.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

A larger-than-life figure will inspire both truth and apocrypha. I've never met the guy, but there are all sorts of stories floating around about him...
egosheep
Intermediate Member

Post by egosheep »

sloop_john_b wrote:
egosheep wrote:When's the last time you have seen a MIM guitar with a nitro finish? :)
My Road Worn P...
Ok, well I'm not exactly up to speed with current Fenders. But I haven't seen anything that suggests that the Marr Jag is MIM, everything points to it being MIA.

The Cobain Jaguar is also modded-out with different pickups and custom switchplate, it's MIM and is only $1299. With the Marr at $1749, I'm going to stick with it being USA made until proven otherwise.
Great Ramp In My Opinion.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Tom, what would indicate MIM to you over AVRI if both were nitro-finished?

Incidentally, I would not be surprised if MIM included nitro--it's cheaper, easier to set up for and spray, and easier to detail. Not to mention that Fender has spent lots of $$$ creating a mystique among players that nitro is superior to anything else. (Fender MIM's polyester is about as bulletproof a finish I've ever encountered. 1/16" thick in places, too! :mrgreen:
egosheep
Intermediate Member

Post by egosheep »

jingle_jangle wrote:Tom, what would indicate MIM to you over AVRI if both were nitro-finished?

Incidentally, I would not be surprised if MIM included nitro--it's cheaper, easier to set up for and spray, and easier to detail. Not to mention that Fender has spent lots of $$$ creating a mystique among players that nitro is superior to anything else. (Fender MIM's polyester is about as bulletproof a finish I've ever encountered. 1/16" thick in places, too! :mrgreen:
I just meant that the Cobain guitar is a signature guitar of the same type, with lots of custom features: two types of humbuckers, a custom neck with a different headstock shape and repacement tuners(with original holes drilled), a custom switchplate, different bridge, custom-reliced finish. It's MIM and costs $1299.

The Marr guitar is also a Jaguar with lots of custom features, but it's $450 more. I don't see $450 in extra features that would make it a pricey MIM rather than a normal MIA.

When I said I haven't seen anything to indicate it was MIM, I meant in all the many articles I have read, and all the threads I've read about it, I haven't heard it even mentioned that it might be MIM... it's been widely assumed that it's MIA on TGP, offsetguitars and other forums. Maybe everyone is wrong about that, but I don't think so.

Paul, is there something about it that says MIM to you? I agree the price seems low, but I think it makes sense to be in line with the AVRI guitars. Johnny has said he didn't want to endorse it if it wasn't a guitar he could use off the shelf, so I very much doubt that Johnny is playing a MIA version of a MIM production guitar. But who knows?
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

The product code for the Marr Jaguar is 0116400; my understanding is that 011 indicates a MIA.
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

They are indeed MIA.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Thanks to all for assisting in this quest for the truth amid my own stubborn delusions!

It's a terrific guitar, and the fact that it's an MIA at that price is incredible.

Speaking of MIA and incredible, check out this video:

http://www.albawaba.com/en/video/M.I.A- ... uYs0gJD-LE

AMAZING...
egosheep
Intermediate Member

Post by egosheep »

Man... I tried to resist but I really want one of these Jags. Does anyone know approximately how long models are available for at retail? A year or so?
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

egosheep wrote:Man... I tried to resist but I really want one of these Jags. Does anyone know approximately how long models are available for at retail? A year or so?
What do you mean? I don't think it's a limited edition.

BTW, did anyone see the orange? WOW. Gorgeous. :shock:
scotty

Post by scotty »

Interstingly in the UK guitar guitar store all the 50th aniv Jags are the same price as the JM model.

http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/electric_ ... offset=252
egosheep
Intermediate Member

Post by egosheep »

sloop_john_b wrote:
egosheep wrote:Man... I tried to resist but I really want one of these Jags. Does anyone know approximately how long models are available for at retail? A year or so?
What do you mean? I don't think it's a limited edition.

BTW, did anyone see the orange? WOW. Gorgeous. :shock:
I just meant, I want to be able to get one new while they are available, and didn't know how long that window would be.

The orange is amazing! Reminds me of a Gretsch orange kind of.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Update - got a refund for the counterfeit neck! And it looks as though the idiot is refusing to sign and accept the package, so I may get the neck back too! :lol:

Return to “Reflections of a Curmudgeon: by Paul Wilczynski”