Quick neck question

Exceptional restoration is in the details

Moderator: jingle_jangle

lennon211
Intermediate Member

Quick neck question

Post by lennon211 »

I have a 360/12v64 from 2000 that is looking more and more like it has neck issues. The neck looks like it's beginning to tilt forward and there appears to be some "wobble" in the neck for lack of better words. The strings seem to tilt downward from the neck to the bridge (if that's a helpful detail). I'm starting to worry that this is going to need a reset. I'm going to take it to my local Ric dealer on Tuesday to see what they say. If it comes down to a worst-case scenario, what do I need to know walking into this?
Sarcasm just doesn't come through when you're typing...
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Re: Quick neck question

Post by JakeK »

Too crazy, Matt. Mine from '87 seems to have the same issues that you've described. Does the neck look at all look like this:

This is a side view of George Harrison's '63 360/12 and Greg Feo thought George's needed a reset, however, John Williams pointed out that...well here, take a look:
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=402986&start=195
lennon211
Intermediate Member

Post by lennon211 »

Yeah...that's the pic that got me noticing it on mine.
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

Did this problem ever get rectified for you, Matt? I'm surprised Paul W did not comment on this. :shock:
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Me, too. Don't know how I missed it, except that I was in Brazil when it posted, and didn't check my internet too regularly for those weeks...

The easiest way to check yourself the status of your instrument's neck, only requires a very flat surface (kitchen counter is the best, if it's not tiled, or a kitchen or dining table. Must be flat...), a sharp pencil and a piece of card stock like an index card.

Lay the instrument on its back on the flat surface, with a thin soft cloth under it (dish towel?) and place a weight on its front to hold it stable. A bag of flour, sugar, or dog food is ideal. If you're really super-careful, use a soft cloth or towel between the weight and your guitar or bass.

Place the file card vertically against the neck, and mark very precisely, the exact top edge of the fretboard at the fret closest to the body, or the closest to it that you can reach. Now, on the same edge of the file card, do the same for the top edge of the fretboard at the nut. How much space is between the two pencil marks? That's the critical dimension. If it's more than 1/16" on a guitar, your neck is moving out of spec. The guitar's bridge adjustment will handle more than 1/4", but on a newer, properly-adjusted Rick guitar, you should see very little difference if any.

Basses can be even more critical; though the bass bridge has as much height adjustment as the guitar bridge, the neck of the bass is 40% longer than the guitar's. Short scale guitars don't shift much and are easier to adjust; mandolins don't move at all for our purposes, and, in fact, don't even have truss rods!
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

With an instrument laying on it's back, I would think the weight of the unsupported headstock may cause the neck to bend down towards the table. What's your take on that, Paul?
lennon211
Intermediate Member

Post by lennon211 »

I just did the measurement with the file card and it's gone to almost exactly 1/4" off between the bass of the neck and the nut. Any suggestions on the next step?
rickboy1689

Post by rickboy1689 »

yikes...time for a reset?
lennon211
Intermediate Member

Post by lennon211 »

Bump: any thoughts on the next steps to take?
asm_12

Post by asm_12 »

Hi, wait and see. Many 40-50 year old Rickenbackers have an inclined neck, but are still playable and sound great. I suspect that the neck moves over a few years and then stabilises or it continues to move and the guitar becomes unplayable. I've seen a few of those too. The neck-body join is simplist, whIch is the basic problem. I agree monitor it and reassess.
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

Sorry to dig this thread out of the ground, but...

I was having a similar problem with my V64. Even though he's no Paul or Larry Davis, he certainly knows his way around a Rickenbacker, too...my current tech, Steve Staples of International Vintage Guitars, saved my V64's life (as well as adding a new set of TI flats). He said that no reset was required to get the neck straight again, and now my V64 plays better than when I bought it from Jdog three years ago! Almost like a brand new guitar...

In short, Matt, if your tech knows his way around a Ric, he can probably save it. Did you ever get it sorted out?
godber
Advanced Member

Post by godber »

JakeK wrote:Sorry to dig this thread out of the ground, but...

I was having a similar problem with my V64. Even though he's no Paul or Larry Davis, he certainly knows his way around a Rickenbacker, too...my current tech, Steve Staples of International Vintage Guitars, saved my V64's life (as well as adding a new set of TI flats). He said that no reset was required to get the neck straight again, and now my V64 plays better than when I bought it from Jdog three years ago! Almost like a brand new guitar...

In short, Matt, if your tech knows his way around a Ric, he can probably save it. Did you ever get it sorted out?
Do you know, or could you describe the action he took Jake?
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

He didn't really go into any detail, mostly because he knows I wouldn't understand what he was saying, but I asked him if he had to reset it, and he said, "absolutely not, it wasn't that bad".
godber
Advanced Member

Post by godber »

JakeK wrote:He didn't really go into any detail, mostly because he knows I wouldn't understand what he was saying, but I asked him if he had to reset it, and he said, "absolutely not, it wasn't that bad".
OK, thanks anyway Jake.
lennon211
Intermediate Member

Post by lennon211 »

I haven't done anything yet. It hasn't moved at all recently and I'm not going to panic. Right now, it's playing great and I'm going to continue to enjoy it. A teacher's meager pay makes this the best possible solution for the time being.

Return to “Reflections of a Curmudgeon: by Paul Wilczynski”