Moderator: jingle_jangle

jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

COOL WHEELS--NOT!!!

Post by jingle_jangle »

5Nc5Ge5K13nb3G83Kfc3a80ad7b5ed90e1b40.jpg
5L35Fc5M33Ka3G43Mbc3a86ebd55dfa6113c4.jpg
5I95Kb5Hd3M23F13J7c3a14cebd534129125e.jpg

Up for sale today on SFBay craigslist...no price given, but look at the workmanship!

A chopped Bug with a 215 CID Buick V8 stuffed into the back...whatta concept...
collin

Re: COOL WHEELS--NOT!!!

Post by collin »

Looks cool.....but all that weight behind the rear axle is going to kill the handling. I'm surprised it works at all on a 911.

:shock:
weemac
Veteran RRF member

Post by weemac »

Chucks good wheelies....

Emac.
I confused Faraday's cage, with Schrodinger's cat box....
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

I once drove a '62 Bug that had a Chevy 327 in the front...crazy fast, loud, and scary...and at the time I drove a G/S Chevy wagon that was turning 11.89 in the quarter and didn't even make my heart beat fast.

This one, frankly, is ill-conceived and very poorly made. I keep imagining Granny Clampett in her rocking chair tied to the roof with Jethro behind the wheel...
manta
Intermediate Member

Post by manta »

It's a sleeper!!
Manta (Tim Rock)
http://www.mantaraymusic.com
1993 Plus FG, 730L-12, 4001FL, Danelectro 6/12, Storyboard Strat
jcreasy

Post by jcreasy »

I've got a 911 and you'd be surprised how very well it does work but it is also with a very different feel and dynamic. When you consider everything (initial cost, initial quality, reliability, performance, repair costs, efficiency, aesthetics) it is absolutely the best sports car value on the planet... Hands down. Second best, the Mazda Miata. These are established truths in the World. Not opinion.

In any event, that bug could be fun to play with if you were inclined... Pull the motor, put a flat 4 back in there, clean up the bodywork and paint it some really cool color... Then load it up with updated electronics and stuff...

If you look around you can see some really cool Karmann Ghias done like that. I saw one that was very tastefully "... rodded" and it looked neat.

But we're a little off topic... Huh?

Sorry. I love cars.

JKC
collin

Post by collin »

jcreasy wrote:When you consider everything (initial cost, initial quality, reliability, performance, repair costs, efficiency, aesthetics) it is absolutely the best sports car value on the planet... Hands down. Second best, the Mazda Miata. These are established truths in the World. Not opinion.
Yeah, well....you own a 911, course you'd say that. :lol: :mrgreen:

Now, when you really get serious about it, the SLK55 AMG is the best sports car value on the planet (well...not just saying that because I own one....)
incubus2432

Post by incubus2432 »

jcreasy wrote:I've got a 911 and you'd be surprised how very well it does work but it is also with a very different feel and dynamic. When you consider everything (initial cost, initial quality, reliability, performance, repair costs, efficiency, aesthetics) it is absolutely the best sports car value on the planet... Hands down. Second best, the Mazda Miata. These are established truths in the World. Not opinion.

Ummm, reeks of opinion/bias and I seriously hope it was "tongue in cheek"......if you were serious then I don't even know what to say.
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

I had a Miata for a couple of years,and it WAS a blast to drive,although it wasn't ever going to be in the same ballpark as big block musclecars on acceleration. These days i go between an '06 Prius,and a '99 SLK 230 kompressor. The mercedes is the perfect summertime cruiser.
gareth
Intermediate Member

Post by gareth »

woodyng wrote:I had a Miata for a couple of years,and it WAS a blast to drive,although it wasn't ever going to be in the same ballpark as big block musclecars on acceleration. These days i go between an '06 Prius,and a '99 SLK 230 kompressor. The mercedes is the perfect summertime cruiser.
I had a '98 SLK230 Kompressor, the very first year of them. I did about 160,000 miles in that thing. I was amazed at how well they handled with the traction control. It was almost like it was on rails. I was pretty sure that I would never be able to get the thing to break free in a turn no matter how fast I pushed it.

That opinion held right up to the point I threw it into a 45mph curve at 90, hit some gravel, the taction control turned off, and I spun it out into a hill, tearing out the engine and hitting the right side so hard it blew the axles through the left wheels. I tried Scratch-X and Zymol like you all suggest, but it didn't seem to make much difference.

I now have an SLK320. I figure I just needed more power to keep it inthe turn. :D
jcreasy

Post by jcreasy »

Incubus... I'm not sure if it was "tongue in cheek" but certainly reeking of opinion and bias and meant in sarcastic good fun.

Point of the post was to comment that 911s are quirky but work with the engine layout, comment on the VW Paul posted and then comment on a few Karmann Ghias I've seen. (Really, the one Karmann I am thinking about was painted dark silver, with "Frenched" headlights and MiniLite wheels and lowered).

In any event, the post was meant in good fun. Sometimes the intended "... humor" in these posts can be hard to read. I'll try to watch that because I don't want to rub anyone the wrong way.

Have a great weekend guys,

JKC
collin

Post by collin »

incubus2432 wrote:

Ummm, reeks of opinion/bias and I seriously hope it was "tongue in cheek"......if you were serious then I don't even know what to say.
Hey Brian....lighten up. ;)
collin

Post by collin »

gareth wrote:
woodyng wrote:I had a Miata for a couple of years,and it WAS a blast to drive,although it wasn't ever going to be in the same ballpark as big block musclecars on acceleration. These days i go between an '06 Prius,and a '99 SLK 230 kompressor. The mercedes is the perfect summertime cruiser.
I had a '98 SLK230 Kompressor, the very first year of them. I did about 160,000 miles in that thing. I was amazed at how well they handled with the traction control. It was almost like it was on rails. I was pretty sure that I would never be able to get the thing to break free in a turn no matter how fast I pushed it.

I now have an SLK320. I figure I just needed more power to keep it inthe turn. :D

Nice, some more love for the SLK! :)

They're great cars, the top on the R170 was pretty revolutionary, and the R171 further refines the overall series. Great engines, well built cars and excellent value, even the AMG models.
jcreasy

Post by jcreasy »

OK... You got me. The SLKs are prettier than the 911 (at least my older one). But no manual transmissions unless you go to the bottom of the lineup. That's a gyp...

They are pretty little cars though.
bitzerguy
RRF Consultant

Post by bitzerguy »

Back in the 80s I drove a 73 Beetle with a slick 6 pack equipped 350 and Olds Toronado transaxle (modded for rotation) combination mounted mid engine (where the back seat originally was). Scariest ride ever for me, and I spent some time driving Formula Ford and Formula 2000 cars. It handled very well and was frighteningly fast, but you had to be careful with the standing start. Like wheel standing start... The owner said he built it from a kit. One question... why?
...Dean
Never, ever drool on your surf shirt. It wrecks the solo.

660/12FG, 350V63/6FG, 620/6JG, 360WB/6DBG, Dingwall C1 #001, Prestige Heritage Elite FM

Return to “Reflections of a Curmudgeon: by Paul Wilczynski”