GREAT WEBSITE...

Exceptional restoration is in the details

Moderator: jingle_jangle

jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

GREAT WEBSITE...

Post by jingle_jangle »

Filled with data and cool products, lots of downloadable tech stuff, too!

http://www.singlecoil.com/frmset.html
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Re: GREAT WEBSITE...

Post by johnallg »

Very nice site. Thanks.

So, are you changing how you do refins now?

"5. Let your guitar breath: for this you should take away the paint at any
location that can´t be seen, a critical location is the surface underneath
the bridge of a Tele or a Strat. Eric Johnson knows why he is doing that to
all of his guitars. You can also take away the complete paint of the inside
of the pickup cavities and the complete surface that is covered with the
pickguard."
freebyrd

Post by freebyrd »

pretty cool!! sadly, a bit beyond my level. got excited to see about the tubescreamer mod but my eyes sorta crossed reading it, but still educational to learn what exactly the pedal is doing. i was really excited to see SF guitarworks promoting a guitar electronics workshop for people wanting to learn about the guts of their guitars as i bought some upgraded pickups for my strat and REALLY want to replace them myself, but called to register and they said they were too busy and probably weren't going to start them until July.

i keep waiting for some kind soul to offer me an apprenticeship in the guitar tech arts!
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

No changes. Not my site. Finish questions? I'm only one source with a pretty much foolproof, long-lasting, factory-quality Rick finish.
There are as many finishing schemes and philosophies out there as there are forefingers to push the spray can nozzle...
freebyrd

Post by freebyrd »

this article about building a '59 les paul is especially great. i wonder how much it costs to do though (parts only)

http://www.singlecoil.com/docs/paula.pdf
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Rule number 5. Time to break out the Dremel tool. :lol:
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

jingle_jangle wrote:No changes. Not my site. Finish questions? I'm only one source with a pretty much foolproof, long-lasting, factory-quality Rick finish.
There are as many finishing schemes and philosophies out there as there are forefingers to push the spray can nozzle...
Bazinga!
kenposurf
RRF Consultant

Post by kenposurf »

That's cool!
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

The most riveting and amazing "build a '59 Les Paul" thread is the one that's been running on the TDPRI for a few years now. Check it out.

The singlecoil site seems to be a compendium of many articles on lots of topics, written by an assortment of people. Take 'em or leave 'em, I say. Where you gonna find so much stuff without a massive, time-consuming search?

I seldom discover anything really new on the topics of woodworking or finishing guitars. I suppose if you follow any systematic method through its learning curve, you can get a satisfactory finish on a guitar body. There are loads of people on the various forums who are turning out acceptable (to them) finishes with ReRanch lacquer in spray cans (at $15-20 per can!) But to get a really professional result that rivals a factory finish is gonna take a lot more than following one step-by-step article.

I suppose that tube amp gurus would find some of the stuff on single coil to be either so simple as to bugger belief, or so far down the wrong road that it gets them all riled up at the silliness of it all. My not being that sort of guru, I'll be pleased to read about basics like pots, soldering, circuit design, and guitar mechanics to add to my less-than-encyclopedic knowledge on these topics, and then decide for myself if it's applicable to me or my own hobby or vocation. No matter--experience remains the best teacher, and these websites do little more than provide jargon and a signpost.
electrofaro

Post by electrofaro »

Imo all this "let the wood breath it will improve sound" stuff is a myth, but a fun one anyway! :lol:
'67 Fender Coronado II CAB * '17 1963 ES-335 PB * currently rickless
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Wood breath is something that we router jockeys constantly do battle with...

Return to “Reflections of a Curmudgeon: by Paul Wilczynski”