Azureglo Nightmare

Exceptional restoration is in the details

Moderator: jingle_jangle

binghamtone

Azureglo Nightmare

Post by binghamtone »

Hi Paul and everyone,
A customer brought in a 4001 with a pretty significant, lets say, "home remedy" repair. He had just bought it and the seller claimed it had a Jazz pickup rout, but upon opening up the bridge pickup cavity, it looks like it was a jazz, then a precision, then back to rick.http://imgur.com/a/LgHtG#H25m0 It's real ugly in there, and it looks like they used acrylic paint on the patch. My customer doesn't need it to look brand new, just not hacked up. So i have a few questions about approach. Should I try to get those pieces of patch out of the rout and start over, or use grain filler on what is there since it's structurally sound? And I have read your other posts about the paint codes for Azureglo. Do you think I can get close on a drop fill, or should I go full refin? So little of the patch peeks out, I don't know if it constitutes a refinishing. Thank you for your time.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Re: Azureglo Nightmare

Post by jingle_jangle »

Ugh. On a Monday, yet...

Cruddy routing, wrong paint, bad color match. Outside of that, no problem.

Well, actually, don't fill it with grain filler, replace as much as possible with good wood that fits perfectly, and refinish it. I'd go for the whole schmear, seeing as the AZ looks to be in pretty bad shape in other areas!

Return to “Reflections of a Curmudgeon: by Paul Wilczynski”