Mildew Mess

Exceptional restoration is in the details

Moderator: jingle_jangle

Mildew Mess

Post by 4003 »

Paul,

I am posting this for a friend. This poor bass was not played for a while and seems to have a mildew rash. Any clean-up/removal suggestions that I can pass along?

Thanks!

Bob
Attachments
large.jpeg
heinpete
Veteran RRF member

Re: Mildew Mess

Post by heinpete »

...ScratchX and Zymol! :D
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

Looks like it was kept in a dark and moist place for decades. Mold/mildew growing where the body oils and sweat were.
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

heinpete wrote:...ScratchX and Zymol! :D
Yep, +1
All I wanna do is rock!
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

I had answered this earlier this morning, but I was not logged in and when I logged in, my answer was erased...aaarrrggghhh.

So, here we are again:

First, mix up a quart or liter of nice hottish water (104-105 F) and squirt in a bit of mild soap to cut the surface tension. Add a teaspoon of ordinary household bleach, NO MORE! DAMPEN a clean sponge with this, wring it out, and wipe off the mildew, drying immediately with a soft cotton cloth (diaper preferred, as usual!). Look for etching in the varnish that is sometimes left my mold or mildew.

Polish with Scratch-X or equivalent (My current fave is 3M _Plastic Polish, made to polish plastic headlamps). If the etch marks go away, then fine. Finish the polishing then wax with Zymol. If the etch marks are still present, move up to fine white polishing compound, which is as coarse as you should go on these. Then follow with Scratch-X, then Zymol, etc.

This would be a good time to disassemble and detail the whole bass, separating parts into piles depending on what they need (i.e., chrome hardware, body carcass, pickguard, knobs, tuners, pickguard, etc... Spend an afternoon on it and carefully reassemble. Yes, the bridge pickup and ground wire from the tailpiece will have to be unsoldered and resoldered.

The strings might need changing. I'd suspect the tone is shot as the silk or synthetic wrap is probably deteriorated.

Post by 4003 »

Thanks everyone for the responses!
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Cool name for a band! :lol:
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »