Twelve String Stratocaster Kit!

Exceptional restoration is in the details

Moderator: jingle_jangle

Ivan3000
Advanced Member

Re: Twelve String Stratocaster Kit!

Post by Ivan3000 »

Hotzenplotz wrote:"Lil' Ivan"?! - Wow!...

Ivan is a young enthusiast doing his first steps in the world of guitars and basses.
Other guys at his age are stealing money for using drugs. - He had a good time with his stepdad(!).

Sometimes Ivan is writing things some of us do not appreciate endlessly, right. Were we different at his age? Surely not.

I do not want to join a club of grumpy and old back-seat drivers. So, please, give the young horses a place and a chance. We all did and still do mistakes, don't we?!

@Ivan: In former times there were the "Astro Kits" for guys like You! - Rock that damn nice thing! I am sure You never played and heard a better guitar than that one.
Thank you Sascha!
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Ivan is a young enthusiast doing his first steps in the world of guitars and basses.
Other guys at his age are stealing money for using drugs. - He had a good time with his stepdad(!).

Sometimes Ivan is writing things some of us do not appreciate endlessly, right. Were we different at his age? Surely not.

I do not want to join a club of grumpy and old back-seat drivers. So, please, give the young horses a place and a chance. We all did and still do mistakes, don't we?!

@Ivan: In former times there were the "Astro Kits" for guys like You! - Rock that damn nice thing! I am sure You never played and heard a better guitar than that one.

"Were we different at his age?" Yes. Yes I was. Go back and search my AGR posts (precursor to RRF in the "wild west" days of the internet) if you like. Really, please do it.
Here, I'll even post a quick and dirty search list for you: https://www.google.com/#q=%22alt.guitar ... 56&bih=477
Use your browser's "find" function in these pages to locate "tccoxman", my old internet handle. I challenge you to find parallels in the current situation and post them here, if you can.

I think it's great Ivan did this project and I encourage things like that (sans the fake logo), but I also think it's the responsibility of us "grumpy old backseat drivers" (I'm 34 btw) to help educate the younger folk so they may understand when and why they are wrong or misguided about certain aspects of their perception. When I was younger, I listened to such opinions (and still do) and I believe I'm better off today for doing so.

And lots of people of ALL ages steal money for drugs. I could as easily scold you for insulting young people by characterizing them as junkies and thieves. But I don't, because it would be fruitless, and I can easily infer that it is very unlikely that that is what you meant.

I'm sorry if anyone was offended by "L'il." When I use REAL insults, trust me, you'll know it. :wink:
Ivan3000
Advanced Member

Post by Ivan3000 »

jdogric12 wrote:

"Were we different at his age?" Yes. Yes I was. Go back and search my AGR posts (precursor to RRF in the "wild west" days of the internet) if you like. Really, please do it.
Here, I'll even post a quick and dirty search list for you: https://www.google.com/#q=%22alt.guitar ... 56&bih=477
Use your browser's "find" function in these pages to locate "tccoxman", my old internet handle. I challenge you to find parallels in the current situation and post them here, if you can.

I think it's great Ivan did this project and I encourage things like that (sans the fake logo), but I also think it's the responsibility of us "grumpy old backseat drivers" (I'm 34 btw) to help educate the younger folk so they may understand when and why they are wrong or misguided about certain aspects of their perception. When I was younger, I listened to such opinions (and still do) and I believe I'm better off today for doing so.

And lots of people of ALL ages steal money for drugs. I could as easily scold you for insulting young people by characterizing them as junkies and thieves. But I don't, because it would be fruitless, and I can easily infer that it is very unlikely that that is what you meant.

I'm sorry if anyone was offended by "L'il." When I use REAL insults, trust me, you'll know it. :wink:
Li'l doesn't bother me, don't worry.
I got a kick of the 'wild west days of the internet' thats pretty funny!
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

IvanMunoz wrote:Li'l doesn't bother me, don't worry.
I got a kick of the 'wild west days of the internet' thats pretty funny!

It was something else! Very exciting and new. I got my lunch eaten every now and then by the "old timers" like Arnquist, JH, etc. So I know how you feel to a certain extent. That's how ya learn!
bosco64
Veteran RRF member

Post by bosco64 »

OMG Jason, I haven't looked at alt.guitar.rickenbacker in over 10 years...what a blast from the past! :|
"Keep smiling, keep your mouth shut, and nobody gets hurt!" :mrgreen:
Don't bust Mike's chops...
'05 4003 BBR; '99 4001V63 FG; '96 4003S Trans Blue (custom refin from Paul W.)
Kilaen

Post by Kilaen »

jdogric12 wrote:
I fail to see how you are educating Ivan with your "facepalm" responses. I can understand your issue with placing a Fender logo on what is obviously not a Fender, but to belittle his efforts in what was apparently a very fun project for him is just rude, in my opinion. Guess my Mama taught me to just keep my mouth shut if I had nothing positive to say. It certainly is not the usual tone set here on these forums.

Ivan, thanks for sharing your project and the enthusiam you have for it. I know you will always have good memories when you play it, and in the end, that's priceless in and of itself.
Livin' the Dream is better than Dreamin' the Life...
Ivan3000
Advanced Member

Post by Ivan3000 »

Kilaen wrote:
jdogric12 wrote:
I fail to see how you are educating Ivan with your "facepalm" responses. I can understand your issue with placing a Fender logo on what is obviously not a Fender, but to belittle his efforts in what was apparently a very fun project for him is just rude, in my opinion. Guess my Mama taught me to just keep my mouth shut if I had nothing positive to say. It certainly is not the usual tone set here on these forums.

Ivan, thanks for sharing your project and the enthusiam you have for it. I know you will always have good memories when you play it, and in the end, that's priceless in and of itself.
Thank you Clark!
Welcome to the forum by the way!
BuddyDog
Intermediate Member

Post by BuddyDog »

Ivan,

I'm glad you had a good time building your 12 string and the finished guitar looks quite nice. 8)
2009 360/6 Fire-Glo 2009 360/12C63 FG 1975 4001 White/BT
Chords mangled, no waiting!
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

Looks killer; thanks for sharing your project with everyone.
There is no reason to ever be bored.

...why yes, I suppose I do have a double bound guitar fetish...

"Uh, I like the double bounds. . . ."
Ivan3000
Advanced Member

Post by Ivan3000 »

BuddyDog wrote:Ivan,

I'm glad you had a good time building your 12 string and the finished guitar looks quite nice. 8)
paologregorio wrote:Looks killer; thanks for sharing your project with everyone.
Thanks to the both of you!

Return to “Reflections of a Curmudgeon: by Paul Wilczynski”