Ivan3000
Advanced Member

Re: Twelve String Stratocaster Kit!

Post by Ivan3000 »

Body:
Completed 12 String 7.jpg
This one captures the guitar at a totally different angle:
Completed 12 String 8.jpg
Finally, this is my favorite shot of the guitar, nice background, the only drawback is that the amber neck isn't visible:
Completed 12 string 6.jpg
I'm very happy with how this came out!
What do you guys think, pretty good for a first project?
Folkie
Advanced Member

Post by Folkie »

As I said in the other thread you have running on this subject, I'd much prefer a Fender Electric XII to a Strat XII any day, or a Ric to either. For some reason, the Strat XII's I've played over the years all sound muddy rather than bright and chimey. On the other hand, Mitch Easter's Fender Electric XII defined the sound of R.E.M's early records, and, as we all know, Ric 12's sound like nothing else. Kudos to you, Ivan, for having the balls to assemble your own guitar. I'd be interested to know how it sounds with your gear.
Ivan3000
Advanced Member

Post by Ivan3000 »

Folkie wrote:As I said in the other thread you have running on this subject, I'd much prefer a Fender Electric XII to a Strat XII any day, or a Ric to either. For some reason, the Strat XII's I've played over the years all sound muddy rather than bright and chimey. On the other hand, Mitch Easter's Fender Electric XII defined the sound of R.E.M's early records, and, as we all know, Ric 12's sound like nothing else. Kudos to you, Ivan, for having the balls to assemble your own guitar. I'd be interested to know how it sounds with your gear.
Thank you! The best way to describe the sound...it shimmers. It sounds very nice through my Vox V412BN and my acoustic head. I use that rig for my bass, but the 12 sounds great through it for some reason.
Thanks for looking!
Folkie
Advanced Member

Post by Folkie »

Ivan,

If it sounds great with your gear, I wouldn't mess with the nut. Just my two cents. :D

Robert
jdawe

Post by jdawe »

Mitch Easter's Fender Electric XII defined the sound of R.E.M's early records, and, as we all know, Ric 12's sound like nothing else.
Speaking of which, does anyone know if Mitch ever got his XII back after it was stolen a while back?
Folkie
Advanced Member

Post by Folkie »

jdawe wrote:
Mitch Easter's Fender Electric XII defined the sound of R.E.M's early records, and, as we all know, Ric 12's sound like nothing else.
Speaking of which, does anyone know if Mitch ever got his XII back after it was stolen a while back?
As far as I know, no word here on whether the Fender XII was recovered. :( Maybe we should ask Mitch himself...
Folkie
Advanced Member

Post by Folkie »

Ivan,

I didn't mean to give you so much negative feedback about your new Strat XII. I've tried two: one at Cambridge Music in Boston many years ago, and one at our local Sam Ash about two months ago. It's very possible that I just didn't take the time to dial in the right settings on the guitar and the amp, and that's why I was disappointed. If it sounds good to you, that's all that matters.

Robert
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

This guitar isn't an actual Fender, so it probably sounds different anyway.
bitzerguy
RRF Consultant

Post by bitzerguy »

IvanMunoz wrote: I just need to find somewhere to put it since the Krylon doesn't react well with the guitar stand.
Any suggestions?
Nice job Ivan.

I always cover my guitar stand contact points with surgical rubber tubing, after the recommendations of our Mr. Hall several years ago. I have never had an issue with any finishes reacting to it. Bought it at a medical supply store. It was not expensive. You can stretch it over whatever the guitar stand comes with, or remove the original foam/cloth/whatever and apply the tubing to the bare metal of the stand. All my stands are so equipped.
...Dean
Never, ever drool on your surf shirt. It wrecks the solo.

660/12FG, 350V63/6FG, 620/6JG, 360WB/6DBG, Dingwall C1 #001, Prestige Heritage Elite FM
Ivan3000
Advanced Member

Post by Ivan3000 »

Thank you everyone for all of the positive comments!
aceonbass wrote:This guitar isn't an actual Fender, so it probably sounds different anyway.
I know, its better! :P :P :P

In all seriousness, it doesn't sound like a Fender at all, the cheap pickups are very thin sounding so it doesn't get muddy.

Its like an accident, but it is good! Sort of like how Fender accidentally discovered tonewoods.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Li'l Ivan wrote:the cheap pickups are very thin sounding so it doesn't get muddy
facepalm

Li'l Ivan wrote:how Fender discovered tonewoods
facepalm

Li'l Ivan wrote:Krylon
facepalm
Hotzenplotz
Intermediate Member

Post by Hotzenplotz »

"Lil' Ivan"?! - Wow!...

Ivan is a young enthusiast doing his first steps in the world of guitars and basses.
Other guys at his age are stealing money for using drugs. - He had a good time with his stepdad(!).

Sometimes Ivan is writing things some of us do not appreciate endlessly, right. Were we different at his age? Surely not.

I do not want to join a club of grumpy and old back-seat drivers. So, please, give the young horses a place and a chance. We all did and still do mistakes, don't we?!

@Ivan: In former times there were the "Astro Kits" for guys like You! - Rock that damn nice thing! I am sure You never played and heard a better guitar than that one.
manta
Intermediate Member

Post by manta »

I remember how thrilled I was to get my EKO 12-string (was probably a Ranger) back in 1966 or '67. That was back in the folk rock days and it added a whole new dimension to the music I could play and enjoy.

Good project Ivan. Your musical horizons will broadly expand with this instrument now in your life. :D
Manta (Tim Rock)
http://www.mantaraymusic.com
1993 Plus FG, 730L-12, 4001FL, Danelectro 6/12, Storyboard Strat
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

It looks pretty cool. :)
There is no reason to ever be bored.

...why yes, I suppose I do have a double bound guitar fetish...

"Uh, I like the double bounds. . . ."

Return to “Reflections of a Curmudgeon: by Paul Wilczynski”