END OF AN ERA!

Exceptional restoration is in the details

Moderator: jingle_jangle

jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

END OF AN ERA!

Post by jingle_jangle »

When John Hall so graciously let me have the license to build Rickenbacker Acoustics back in '06, I brought a truck to RIC headquarters and loaded it up with all of the remaining wood for Rickenbacker acoustics, in order to free up some shop and storage space in Santa Ana. There was enough undamaged wood for about 40 guitars, and I've reached the end of the line with my RIC acoustic builds. I've decided to let my license to build Rickenbacker acoustics expire, effective February 1, 2013. All current orders will be built as agreed.

With JH's encouragement, I've made the decision to produce my own line of premium acoustic guitars, handbuilt as before, to the same high quality, and with an extended option list including other rare woods, finishes, and trim options. The brand I will be using is "Madeleine", in honor of my late granddaughter who passed away May 2, 2011 at age 1 month.

John has generously offered to allow me to retain my jigs and fixtures, so that the Madeleine guitars will be built to the same structural specifications as the delightful 700 and 730 RIC models, but will have different headstocks and of course no "Rickenbacker" branding or nameplates.

I cannot thank John, Cindalee, and Ben Hall, enough for their generosity and assistance in kickstarting my passion for acoustic guitars!

As John says, "Cheers!"
cjj
RRF Moderator

Re: END OF AN ERA!

Post by cjj »

Sorry to hear we won't be able to get Rickenbacker acoustics in the future, but it's fantastic to hear we can get the equivalent, with more options, and hopefully new models as well!
8) 8) 8)
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
godber
Advanced Member

Post by godber »

That's a good new brand name Paul, very touching. Best of luck with the venture.
cassius987

Post by cassius987 »

Paul, congratulations on your new venture. I'm so sorry to hear about your loss, but what a great way to honor your granddaughter's memory. I wish you much success!
collin

Post by collin »

Definitely the end of an era.

Good luck with the new line, Paul -- looking forward to seeing the designs! 8)
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

Love the name! :) This is exciting news for acoustic fans! 8)
All I wanna do is rock!
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Good luck with the new, updated venture. 8)
antipodean

Post by antipodean »

Whilst it may be sad to see the end of your production Rickenbacker acoustic guitars, I'm looking forward to seeing you have your own distinct label. All the best with the Madeleine range of guitars, Paul.
"I don't want to sound incredulous but I can't believe it" Rex Mossop
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Do you have a headstock design, yet?
johnhall
RIC

Post by johnhall »

I see it more like the beginning of a new era, as it opens Paul up to all kinds of different designs and materials. We'll all be able to see how truly creative he is, as opposed to rehashing our old designs!
bartyclue
Intermediate Member

Post by bartyclue »

Kudos to RIC and the Hall family. Not often you see this kind of consideration of others..
wmthor
Veteran RRF member

Post by wmthor »

As the owner of one of Paul's earlier Rickenbacker Acoustics, I can't wait to see what the Madeleine line will have to offer.
'96 1997 LH MG
'98 360 LH MG
'00 360/12 Carl Wilson LH FG
'07 730S Shiloh LH
xpitt
Intermediate Member

Post by xpitt »

That is touching. Madeleine will shine and bring happyness with every tone from these instrument. She will live on.
manta
Intermediate Member

Post by manta »

Kudos to John for trusting Paul with the company name and all that goes with it and to Paul for more than meeting the challenge with some incredibly well-made and unique instruments that have made owners, maker and brand proud. ' Twas a grand and highly successful endeavor.

I look forward to the Madeleine line. Paul, your magic and creativity will now thrive in a very special way. :D :D

Keep 'em coming!
Manta (Tim Rock)
http://www.mantaraymusic.com
1993 Plus FG, 730L-12, 4001FL, Danelectro 6/12, Storyboard Strat
rickyfricky
Intermediate Member

Post by rickyfricky »

Congratulations Paul -- on being such an amazing steward of the RIC brand.

And for parlaying that stewardship into the opportunity for further growth of your own brand.

VIVA MADELEINE! 8)
Watch those teeth, Marlin. I'm not sure we've properly sedated the beast . . .

Return to “Reflections of a Curmudgeon: by Paul Wilczynski”