Dave’s Aussie Confluence Adventure.

Planning or looking for a Rickenbacker conference? Start here.

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

dswp

Post by dswp »

"Don't let Lisa see the "Jo" Photos!!"

Greg I may need you to break into Darren's house for me. I think that there may be more.
dswp

Post by dswp »

O.K., I think that “you know who” is passed out by now, so it is safe to post once again.

First of all there is nothing wrong with my world famous Australian dialect. I studied the Dick Van Dyke chimney sweep character from Mary Poppins for two months to get down all of the nuances.

With all this talk of surfing, several spots along the Great Ocean Road looked to be somewhat popular surfing spots.

We spent some time at the 12 Apostles. If you go, see them from the beach as well as from the cliff tops. It’s a bit of an ordeal to get to them on the beach, but it is worth it.

Also along the Great Ocean Road was the site of the Loch Ard Gorge shipwreck in 1878. With only two survivors, it was a fascinating tale of endurance. The wreck itself was discovered by local divers in 1967 and blasted to recover some of the cargo and as a result the wreck is very broken up.

We also saw London Bridge where the leg of the bridge fell in 1990.
dswp

Post by dswp »

More about the people along the way.

Of all the Forum members that I met for the first time, I felt that I knew Howard the best, due to the legendary thread of his travels in the US. The day of the Confluence Howard was the clear winner of the “coolest stuff” competition. With the Midi ready guitar, keyboards, amps, and the armada of Rics, it was a sight to see. You know the guy has a serious collection when he has to rent a moving van to drag it out.

Robyn Trott was a joy to be around. Just to remain so graceful when “you know who” is around, speaks volumes of her inter beauty. I’ll never forget when we first met and we were alone in the front outside area of their house. She leaned into speak to me and in a quiet voice. She said “Please help me, he is totally insane, Oh no, I think he heard me”.
I am sorry Robyn, I am just so sorry.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Darren is going to have to make it up to Robyn by doing a US Penance Tour. This way she will know that the rest of us are fairly normal.

Image Image Image

(No offence, Dane!)
dale_fortune
Intermediate Member

Post by dale_fortune »

WHOA, I can hardly wait, and I'll only bring 1 guitar. Will there be a customs problem going in and out of the country with my personal guitar? As for longboards, I still surf a 10'6" Dewey Weber Performer that is quite heavy. My shortest longboard is 9ft. Cold water: here in Oregon it averages 42 to 47 degrees and sometimes gets up to low 50's. Thick wets suits and booties are a must. Great pictures Dave. I love the ones of the beach and cove area.
dswp

Post by dswp »

Dale you will LOVE it.The Ocean Road was dotted with some great surf shops too.

I had no probs with taking guitars over.
sowhat
RRF Consultant

Post by sowhat »

Hey, that guy with a cig, glass and two necks looks like Egor Letov!
Nothing will get you dead quicker than being deadly serious about yourself.
beatlefreak

Post by beatlefreak »

Sounds like a great time Dave. I hope to make it down under one of these days.
Ka is a wheel.
ozover50
RRF Consultant

Post by ozover50 »

Glad you enjoyed the Great Ocean Road trip, Dave. It's one of the many things us 'locals' take for granted.

Dale: Come on down, mate.... the water's fine! I tried to surf - once - the lure of the coldies in the Esky back on the beach won me over that day. The only time I've touched a board since is when I helped my brother move house!

Just to reiterate..... any body planning to come over will be seriously looked after! Image
"Never eat more than you can lift." - Mr. Moon
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

Sheena, that's our own Dane Paul Terry!
jwilli
RRF Consultant

Post by jwilli »

Great pics! Thanks for sharing!
sowhat
RRF Consultant

Post by sowhat »

Oops, my bad! Image Hope Dane's not reading that... i'm soooooorry!
Almost forgot to say... great pics! I especially liked the kangaroo with the baby & that pic of Dave and a koala (no, i'm not going to say they look a bit similar...).
Nothing will get you dead quicker than being deadly serious about yourself.
melibreits

Post by melibreits »

Great pics, Dave.... Fantastic, in fact!

Kind of makes me want to escape Down Under for a while! Image
"Once I've held and played the best, baby, I won't settle for less!"
dswp

Post by dswp »

Melissa you will never have better treatment.
melibreits

Post by melibreits »

Oh, I'm sure of that.... Based on my experiences with the two Aussies I've had the pleasure of meeting (Aitch and Darren), I am sure that such a trip would be wonderful.... Are all of the people down there as nice and as fun?

It is a trip my hubby and I will have to make someday!
"Once I've held and played the best, baby, I won't settle for less!"

Return to “Rickenbacker Conferences and Confluences”