SoCal Update

Planning or looking for a Rickenbacker conference? Start here.

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

dcflashster

Post by dcflashster »

Sorry about the misspelled word it was suppose to be great thanks again
gregga41
RRF Consultant

Post by gregga41 »

Brilliant video Ben! That's a fantastic rendition of "Nowhere man" guys! Hey Alisha,whenever you move "downunder",we'll have to have you as drummer for The Very Almosts! Great job!
ben_brown
Advanced Member

Post by ben_brown »

Here are some more great moments....

Sing along with Kenny!

Dueling Blue Boys!

Graham & Allison

Kenny & Darren trade licks

A Gretch!...What's that doing here?

Another one of Paul W's creations
Absolutely incredible! I want one of these.
'73 4001 MG '88 4003S JG '89 4003S FG '91 4003S MG
8mileshigher

Post by 8mileshigher »

Hey all - just wanted to add my thanks to Joey, Gary and all who did so much to make this SoCal Confluence such a success !! It was an incredible experience for a first-time attendee. The Friday night dinner extravaganza, the big attendance and displays at Saturday's session and the jam at Malone's followed by Sunday afternoon's acoustic oriented activities are highlights of the diversity of Rickenbacker enthusiasts. It was really nice to meet so many people, have so many fabulous guitars and basses on display and listen to some incredibly talented people perform for us. Having Forumites attending from all around the world made it real special. The raffle prize donated by JH was first class and Paul W. offering it back up was a very fine gesture.

I don't remember who said it to me, but a wise Forumite put it well into perspective on Friday evening when he said it was unlikely that you would ever see 30+ Gibson or Fender owners, getting together for a big dinner together and taking over a restaurant for an evening like that, to share fellowship and their mutual love of their instruments.

Thanks to all !! It was great !! I am looking forward to more Confluences !!

Regards - Rich F.

P.S. I enjoyed everybody's performances, but if asked to vote for the best tune of SoCal 2007 I would give the trophy for Kenney and company's great rendition of "Nowhere Man" at Malones.
"What we've got is Blind Faith in each other" Steve Winwood, Newsweek July 28 1969

10 4003 FG
06 WB BRG
04 660-12 JG
03 360-12 FG
99 V64 six FG
96 650-A TQ
94 V64-12 JG
81 370-WB JG
73 480 DaphBlue
61 Cons Steel MG
charlyg

Post by charlyg »

I am biased (blues guy), so I enjoyed the SRV tunes!
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Another one of Paul W's creations

So he brought it to the confluence, eh!!!

I saw and played Paul's 4005 RI at his home this past May while up in No Cal. Great bass! Image
bassduke49

Post by bassduke49 »

Richard, I enjoyed "Nowhere Man" as well, if I do say so myself. Understand, it was unrehearsed; everyone seemed to know their parts instinctively, and reinforced my playing, too. I'm sorry I look so relaxed, but I had to sit while playing - the straps you "kids" wear these days put the bass down almost to my knees, and the way that I'm built, well, I seldom see my knees. I have to wear the bass rather high now to see what I'm doing. It was great to see and talk with everyone once again. I'll look forward to SoCalCon IV.
Author: "The Rickenbacker Electric Bass - 50 Years As Rock's Bottom"
charlyg

Post by charlyg »

It was a great rendition! Fer sure!
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Jeff, remember it had a fretting-out on the A string, 9th fret? You said, "high fret", but I'd seen this sort of thing before with it--it was only 2 months old and had not settled in. So I cased it and left it for a couple more months. It then played beautifully again!

Then, a week before RIC 76, the custom-made Ameritage case arrived, so I set it in there with the humidistat. Left it there for five days. At the Confluence on Sat the action was a bit low, but I left it. By Sunday, the action was very low (5/64 all along the fretboard), and although every string buzzed, there was no fretting out--a sign of a nice, straight neck. It's home now and will be final-buffed and set up--hopefully semi-permanently!
“I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, 'The Beatles did.”
― Kurt Vonnegut
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

You could have sent it home with me to let it settle in! I would have made sure it got some music in it! Image That would do the trick.

Great bass nontheless, and you have no idea how difficult it was for me not to say anything about it, but I keep my promises. Image
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

It sure is a beauty! Very nice FG burst pattern also. True, the action was a little too low to play because of buzzing, but Paul said it - no fretting out. Properly set up, with that neck profile, it will be a stunner.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Raised the bridge in my shop yesterday 1.5mm. Took about three minutes. Now it's perfect.

It's had three different sets of strings on it. Right now I have D'Addario rounds on it, I believe .040-.100s; I'd have to check. I ran some higher tension rounds on it at first, and could see the neck bow. Not wanting to get too nuts with the truss rods, I switched strings. After several months, the neck is arrow-straight. Now, maybe try some premium flatties?
“I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, 'The Beatles did.”
― Kurt Vonnegut
charlyg

Post by charlyg »

Chromes!!!!!
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Hmmmm...
― Kurt Vonnegut
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

Definitely either D'Addario Chromes or TI Jazz Flats for that bass. Rounds on a 4005? Perish the thought!

Return to “Rickenbacker Conferences and Confluences”