So Cal 2008

Planning or looking for a Rickenbacker conference? Start here.

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

myfretless

So Cal 2008

Post by myfretless »

Wow. The time is flying. Only another 4 or 5 months to go for the next So Cal Con.

Any feedback about what people liked or didn't like to help make a better confluence this next time around?

Pros:
I think it went really well.
The location was great. Hotel was fine, although the fact the door wouldn't really lock well concerned me. Maybe we should have someone there at all times just to be safe.
The turnout was great. The little extras (and BIG extra) were wonderful. Thanks to everyone, especially JH.
A lot of time and effort made for a great time.
Nice to have the RIC guys come and share.
Great venue for the gigs.
Great to see Hautwerk and Cindalee dancing on the same day.

Cons:
I think we as attendees could have helped more and spread the responsibility out more between participants as it was really a labor of love for Gary and Joey for the most part. I kind of felt bad that I didn't do more to help.
I would suggest that those who enjoy participating volunteer to take some of the burden from the select few who have been making it happen. We shouldn't be hoping that one person does practically everything.
On the other hand, I would suggest that you don't volunteer if you cannot keep the commitment as it is better to get something done than nothing done.

Different thought:
If RIC is so kind as to allow a factory tour this year, I think it would be kind of nice to put together a Forum Thank You (whether it's a card, a poster, or something even bigger) to present to the kind workers there to let them know our appreciation for their hard and expert labor. Maybe something that they could see when they go into work. I find when a person knows that what they are doing has special significance for someone, it makes the work less like "work" and more meaningful. I get "thank yous" from clients and I put them up so my staff can see them.

Anyway, thoughts?
paologregorio

Re: So Cal 2008

Post by paologregorio »

I'm local to So Cal(Long Beach), so I've already contacted Gary and Joey about helping out/being one of the organizers.

I didn't even know about the confluence until Dale mentioned it to me in passing, the week before the confluence.

It was great meeting so many people in person! :D

Seeing all of the Rickies was incredible as well.

I think one of the things we want to do is be able to have a jam session at a venue that will let us have the stage for the whole evening/night, instead of cutting us off at sundown!
ben_brown
Advanced Member

Post by ben_brown »

paologregorio wrote:I think one of the things we want to do is be able to have a jam session at a venue that will let us have the stage for the whole evening/night, instead of cutting us off at sundown!
Yeah....and no one played afterwards either. :(
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

I haven't heard anything yet about SoCalRICon'08. Last year it was speculated that we should rent the California room at the Doubletree like JH did for the 75th. Instead of three nights, it would be for two, but we'd be able to play at any time and have plenty of room for everyone and their instruments. Hopefully they wont make us use their canned soda at $3.00 a pop like last years hotel did.
myfretless

Post by myfretless »

That's a fine idea Dane. I remember there was an issue of cost for the room though. For some reason I don't think the raffle covered everything last year either. I remember throwing a few extra bills in because I was concerned but I don't remember following up to make sure everything cleared. I hope it did.

Here's an idea: maybe we could sell RickResource Forum CDs to cover the cost for the room.

The two nights makes sense. I like the ability to play anytime. That is nice.
kennyhowes
Veteran RRF member

Post by kennyhowes »

Dane is right (re: the ability to Rock At All Hours) but an alternate thing might be to have the confluence itself wherever it's going to be, and have the onstage time at a better venue than Malone's (which kind of came together as an afterthought).

Trick is getting such a place on a weekend.

Hmm. Will do some thinking.

Are there dates for this thing yet? I need to write it down.
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

kennyhowes wrote:Dane is right (re: the ability to Rock At All Hours) but an alternate thing might be to have the confluence itself wherever it's going to be, and have the onstage time at a better venue than Malone's (which kind of came together as an afterthought).

Trick is getting such a place on a weekend.

Hmm. Will do some thinking.

Are there dates for this thing yet? I need to write it down.
Not yet. Joey, Gary, and I are supposed to get together at some point this month to start planning. It will be after Income tax day, I imagine.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Malone's? Once I got the worms out of my shoes, it was OK...
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

jingle_jangle wrote:Malone's? Once I got the worms out of my shoes, it was OK...
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I didn't even know about that place until the confluence. Not too bad for a last minute deal, all things considered. At least there weren't any worms in the beers! I figured that the place was okay since my shoes didn't stick to the floor or anything like that, unlike some of the local dive bars I've been to. The former Club Mesa comes to mind. I think the renovation crew must have used a blow torch to get whatever it was(the adhesive layer of worn off carpet, mixed with years of spilled booze perhaps?), off the concrete floor befor ethe place was converted into its current manifestation as the ultra hip "Detroit Bar".

I've heard some stories about Malone's since the confluence from my friend and fellow Sfd guitarist Jayme:

1.) It used to be quite the scary skinhead bar.

2.) The upper baclony/loft area was not built properly, according to Jayme(he's a contractor); during crowded shows with folks dancing around up in the balcony loft, the structure could be seen to visibly flex up and down.
myfretless

Post by myfretless »

I just thought the parking situation at Malone's was a little "iffy." I had 5 Rickenbackers in my car and I had to keep going back out to check to make sure no one had broken into my car.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

It's in a 'hood that's on the edge at night.

Back in '91, when I first began working for the guy who's my boss now (we were both at Mazda R & D back then; he was VP and I was grunt-sultant), he took all the design staff out to Malone's to "show us what sculpted curves were all about". They were upscale then, with a noontime businessmen's lingerie show. We studied curves while our food got cold...

A few months later, in a magazine interview, he mentioned the lingerie lunches...there was massive backlash from NOW, who really overreacted (we all thought) to a very interesting take on sculpting. Mazda took so much flak that he was moved laterally to the Japanese office for about 5 years. Thankfully, he's back to stay and is the best damned teacher, administrator, and boss that I've had in my long career.

Good old Malone's...it was odd to go back there and see how far down it had gone.
marc61

Post by marc61 »

Hope to hear about dates soon..the earlier i know, the better chances of me coming....
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

myfretless wrote:I just thought the parking situation at Malone's was a little "iffy." I had 5 Rickenbackers in my car and I had to keep going back out to check to make sure no one had broken into my car.
That is spooky. I would have brought them all in and sat on them. A stack of Rick cases makes a comfy bench! :D :D
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

jingle_jangle wrote:It's in a 'hood that's on the edge at night.

Back in '91, when I first began working for the guy who's my boss now (we were both at Mazda R & D back then; he was VP and I was grunt-sultant), he took all the design staff out to Malone's to "show us what sculpted curves were all about". They were upscale then, with a noontime businessmen's lingerie show. We studied curves while our food got cold...

A few months later, in a magazine interview, he mentioned the lingerie lunches...there was massive backlash from NOW, who really overreacted (we all thought) to a very interesting take on sculpting. Mazda took so much flak that he was moved laterally to the Japanese office for about 5 years. Thankfully, he's back to stay and is the best damned teacher, administrator, and boss that I've had in my long career.

Good old Malone's...it was odd to go back there and see how far down it had gone.
Complete insecure and fascistic reaction. I like to call NOW the "NAGS"; "National Association of GalS"

Whoa, that place has fallen quite a bit! From upscale, to skinhead, to sticky dive bar.
blueflamerick
Advanced Member

Post by blueflamerick »

myfretless wrote:That's a fine idea Dane. I remember there was an issue of cost for the room though. For some reason I don't think the raffle covered everything last year either. I remember throwing a few extra bills in because I was concerned but I don't remember following up to make sure everything cleared. I hope it did.

Here's an idea: maybe we could sell RickResource Forum CDs to cover the cost for the room.

The two nights makes sense. I like the ability to play anytime. That is nice.

Here are the cost details from last year's confluence:

Room Expense $1057.83
Drink Expense $512.87
Total Expenses $1570.70

Raffle funds $900
Donations $384
Total $1284

There were supposed to be 10 of us So-Cal forumites that agreed to cover the remaining costs, which came to $28.70 per person. Hopefully everyone that agreed to pay Gary did so.

Return to “Rickenbacker Conferences and Confluences”