December '07 Melbourne Confluence Jam on Youtube

Planning or looking for a Rickenbacker conference? Start here.

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

ozover50
RRF Consultant

December '07 Melbourne Confluence Jam on Youtube

Post by ozover50 »

Here's a video taken at last year's Melbourne Confluence jam session in honour of Brian Medway's visit to our sunny shores. As they say, "better late than never!!!" :D :D

It's a very impromptu version of the Stones' "Play With Fire" and features Ron Viney on vocals, rhythm and lead guitar, Trotty on lead guitar and backing vocals, Brian Medway on bass, myself on rhythm guitar and stand-in drummer Steve.

There is some non-Rickenbacker content and we don't apologise for that..... Trotty's vintage Strat is worth showcasing, as is my "John Koelling" Strat.

It's pretty rough around the edges and the audio is not great but we reckon it's a reasonable performance considering the impromptu nature of it and the fact that the key was changed to E from A at the last minute..... Ron and I had only done it a couple of times in E!! :oops: Unfortunately the start and finish are missing but I'm sure you'll get the overall feeling.

Watch out for Ron's unexpected but great lead break on his 360v64 and if you have a decent sound system you'll hear a nice little bit of bass improvisation by Brian on Darren's 1999RM. As always, Trotty shined.... in spite of some early tuning problems! :roll:

Greg Rahilly kindly took the video, Joe Naccarata was official photographer. Shane McAlpine and Frank Naccarata sat this one out.

Part of a great, great time for all of us!!! Ahhhhhhh the memories....... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

melibreits

Re: December '07 Melbourne Confluence Jam on Youtube

Post by melibreits »

Very cool.... Looks like a great time was had by all!

Nothing beats making music with friends.... :D
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

I like the laid back feel of it. Great job all. :wink:

Oh, and FINALLY, Aitch! :twisted: :D
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

Thanks for posting this Aitch.

It's not bad at all in fact it's a lot better than I thought it would be. But the best part for me was being able to play with a group of friends. It was the first time that I have played in a band for more than 22 years. I had never really thought about it but I guess I really had an extended hiatus. I am not a bass player, so I was very happy that Darrens beautiful bass was so easy to play. It almost played itself. :lol:
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
gregga41
RRF Consultant

Post by gregga41 »

Yes, thanks so much for posting this one Aitch!
I, being VERY computer illiterate,couldn't sort out all the compressions etc to post it myself!
I'm with you Brian, when i saw this video after i filmed it,i was pleasantly surprised. Hope it's a little reminder of your tour downunder!! :D
johneek
Advanced Member

Post by johneek »

Great stuff guys! For an impromptu session, it all turned out very nicely, but I agree with Brian....the thing that shined through for me was the obvious fun you were all having.
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

John,

These guys know how to entertain foreign visitors. They are the worlds best at it. :lol:
gregga41 wrote:I'm with you Brian, when i saw this video after i filmed it,i was pleasantly surprised. Hope it's a little reminder of your tour downunder!! :D
It was a very good reminder of the friends that I made in Australia. It was great meeting up with a few people that I had never conversed with very much before on the forum. Frank and Shane in particular and special mention has to go to Joe. He is such a great guy. Steve, our drummer for the day was terrfic. He was the glue that held the fabric together.

It's funny Greg, you and Darren were exactly how I had pictured you to be. Of course I already knew Aitch and Ron, we had been friends for quite some time but meeting you guys was pretty special. Playing with you all was priceless.

I really appreciated the good cheer and the hospitality extended to my wife and I. I find myself missing you all and Melbourne a lot. I am definitely coming back in 2010 (if not before). Hopefully Greg, we will all get to spend a lot more time together then; perhaps just hanging out, knocking back a few pints of neck oil and of course playing music.
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

winston wrote:I am not a bass player, so I was very happy that Darrens beautiful bass was so easy to play. It almost played itself. :lol:
Brian, thats the way Rick basses are, they almost play themselves. That RM had to be extra special too. Lucky you! :wink:
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

johnallg wrote:
winston wrote:I am not a bass player, so I was very happy that Darrens beautiful bass was so easy to play. It almost played itself. :lol:
Brian, thats the way Rick basses are, they almost play themselves. That RM had to be extra special too. Lucky you! :wink:
John, I own a 4003 and a 4001 but the neck on Darren's RM was like butter. Aitch is worried that I am going to turn into a bass player, because I play my basses so much. Too funny. :roll:

johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

winston wrote:Aitch is worried that I am going to turn into a bass player, because I play my basses so much.
Exactly why I keep playing my basses so much, I too am hoping to turn into a bass player! :P :D
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

johnallg wrote:
winston wrote:Aitch is worried that I am going to turn into a bass player, because I play my basses so much.
Exactly why I keep playing my basses so much, I too am hoping to turn into a bass player! :P :D
Hah! I used to have an excuse for not really being a bass player. I am a guitar player! :P :twisted: :mrgreen: 8) :shock: Seriously though, mucking around on bass has made me a better musician. It's happened a bit late in life, but I'll take it. :roll:

johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

Playing bass is a different way of thinking musically. You also get to direct and lead in subtle ways. And hold it all together. And stand out a little too. Much fun.

Return to “Rickenbacker Conferences and Confluences”