RIO Thank You Thread

Planning or looking for a Rickenbacker conference? Start here.

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

tmossman

RIO Thank You Thread

Post by tmossman »

Thanks for all the work Shari and Jeff. It was a truly enjoyable event.
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Re: RIO Thank You Thread

Post by johnallg »

Yes, thanks to Shari and Jeff for all the time, thought, effort, and hospitality that went into this wonderful weekend. You two made it a weekend to remember. Thanks for the Dim Sum! And also thanks to JH for the raffle goodies. It was a grand weekend of the usual confluence shenanigans!
bassduke49

Post by bassduke49 »

Absolutely. Shari and Jeff were the best hosts, arranging the restaurant trips, getting the rooms set up, etc. All with their four capable hands.

Dorothy and I got home north of Milwaukee around 10:00 pm, leaving Cleveland at 1:30 after the dim sum orgy. We thought we would avoid the construction on Chicago's bypass "Tri-State Tollway" by going downtown on a late Sunday afternoon/early evening stroll in I-94. But no. Chicago entices you to take the "express lanes" with fewer exits and entries, then once you are on it you can't get out, and then you see the halted traffic and signs that say "two left lanes (out of three) closed. Cones for many miles and absolutely no hint of construction. I don't mind being in Chicago, but I sure hate going through it.

But all hats off to Shari and Jeff!!!
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

Dim Sum Orgy - that about sums it up! Just when you thought you were full, out came 2 or 3 new and different taste sensations. Supper hours later in Toledo after a visit with our daughter and shopping at Dillards was a bowl of soup and half a crème brûlée. And that was a stretch. :D

Excellent brunch!!!

Hey Paul, did you hit the storms across Indiana or beat them? Looked really nasty on radar.
ben_brown
Advanced Member

Post by ben_brown »

What a fabulous time.. we just arrived home at 2:40 am.. long drive but well worth it. Jeff and Shari you should be very pleased. You pulled off a wonderful event without a hitch. I can tell you that we had a great time from beginning to end.. with the small exception of the hailstorm we hit on the way to Columbus. But what can you do about the weather? We cannot thank you enough, it was great!
The Browns
windchimp
Intermediate Member

Post by windchimp »

Jeff and Shari certainly did a first-rate job organizing this event - a perfect venue for all of the nuts to "get loose". Wish I could have stayed for the Dim Sum orgy, but even hitting the road at 8 AM I could not avoid the dreaded NYC bottleneck at the George Washington Bridge - took me 1.5 hours to cross the Hudson! Now I know why I avoid driving off Long Island, but RIO was more than worth it - I'd do it all again in a heartbeat (and will next year).

Now back to the grind...and the airport...
"Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time"
teeder

Post by teeder »

tmossman wrote:Thanks for all the work Shari and Jeff. It was a truly enjoyable event.
+1!!!

We had a great time! It was nice to meet more members of our Rickenfamily!
I wish we could have stayed for brunch, but we needed to get home to the kids.

Thanks again!
chronictown
Veteran RRF member

Post by chronictown »

Thanks so much Shari and Jeff :!: :!: :!: What a great time. It was really fun meeting everyone and of course drooling over that incredible assortment of fine, fine instruments. Wish I could've arrived earlier / stayed later, but at least I was able to get a few hours in...and a few beers in at Slam Jam's :mrgreen:
bassduke49

Post by bassduke49 »

John A., we did go through a frog choker for about 10 minutes, then another downburst on the south side of Chi-town, then another short one while we sat in the "express lanes" south of the loop. Fantastic lightning on that middle one, with vivid rain shafts and beautiful cloud formations (I'm a bit of a weather nut, along with my other affectations).

Yes, Jeff and Shari sprung for the dim sum extravaganza for all 14 of us. I tried to settle up, and Shari insisted, "No, this is on us. We planned this from the start!" Although Shari doesn't speak much Chinese, she and Jeff frequent the place, and directed the staff and explained what we were eating (some of it you may not want to know). Wonderful!
just_bassics
Intermediate Member

Post by just_bassics »

Jeff and Shari - Just because "it goes without saying" doesn't mean we shouldn't say it - What a great job you both did on the entire event. We also wish we had stayed longer... Won't make that mistake again! Thanks for "requiring" my attendance, Jeff. Next time a simple invite will do :D Thank you both for a great event :!:

Graham and Peter, it was great meeting you, as well as John, Jeff, Chris, Kevin, Paul, Steve... everyone in the picture and the one forum member who would not get in the picture, nice meeting her as well. My wife, Donna, wasn't sure about coming along, but Tammy and Shari made her feel right at home. Next time we'll make overnight arrangements so that we can enjoy the whole show.

To our British guests, next Time Donna and I are in the U.K, I hope to get together again, maybe this time we'll add Shawn Luckman and anyone else from the area and attend a SEYES concert. (Pete!) We hope to go back to England by 2010.

Paul, I'm also a weather buff. I'll stop just about anything I'm doing, make a cup of coffee and happily watch the worst thunderstorm (providing no funny looking clouds are present). The louder the better!

Thanks to Tony Cabibe for introducing me to the forum two years ago and locating a V63 for me. He wasn't at the conference, but a nice surprise was waiting for me in my mailbox when I arrived home 8)

Jeff and Shari, Thanks again!
rickaddict

Post by rickaddict »

Fun Times!

Thanks Jeff and Shari. You two did a great job. Good times were had by all! My only complaint was that it went by too fast. See what you can do to slow it down next time! :D

Too bad I missed out on the Dim Sum fest. I had to get back to Chicago for the Cubs/Sox game Sunday night. And I had the exact same experience that Paul Boyer had:
bassduke49 wrote:We thought we would avoid the construction on Chicago's bypass "Tri-State Tollway" by going downtown on a late Sunday afternoon/early evening stroll in I-94. But no. Chicago entices you to take the "express lanes" with fewer exits and entries, then once you are on it you can't get out, and then you see the halted traffic and signs that say "two left lanes (out of three) closed. Cones for many miles and absolutely no hint of construction. I don't mind being in Chicago, but I sure hate going through it.
MAN was that frustrating. I had to get home so that wifey and I could head out to the game, but it took 1.5 hours to get through about 12 minutes worth of road. The "express lanes" were just STOPPED. Trapped in the car and had to pee the whole time too! I had built in plenty of time and thought I'd be able to eat something and/or take a little nap between the drive home and heading off to the game, but instead we had to hastily unpack the car, jump on the motorcycle (urban traffic immunity vehicle!), and speed off to Wrigley Field. We got to the game about 5 minutes late.

Traffic! :x I told my wife I'm never going to drive anywhere again!
mrs_brown
Intermediate Member

Post by mrs_brown »

No one has yet mentioned that we went to a great dinner Friday night Jeff and Shari managed to take us to Pearl of the Orient where we ate way to much and had lots of fun. The Residence Inn was a great selection I know there was a lot of thought that went into choosing a good hotel.. and they did an excellent job! Traveling to eat, shop, wash your car, or sight see was always a piece of cake, they had a very nice continental breakfast the rooms were beautiful it was a great selection. Shari was well prepared with maps to almost anywhere you needed to go! They put a lot of effort into this event and I will tell you it was incredible. What a great team you guys are! By the way I forgot to mention Dim Sum.. I am still full. Food just kept coming and coming .. Graham you should have been there..
86kubicki
Advanced Member

Post by 86kubicki »

I'll echo all the thanks to Jeff and Shari for hosting a terrific event! It's always great to meet up with folks you've met before as well as putting some new faces to names here on the forum. And it was nice to see that Brian was exactly as I envisioned him (in a good way of course! :) ). Of course on the downside I now have serious RAS for a 4002...

P.S. No problem with Canadian customs going home- they didn't even look at our passports!
krick
Veteran RRF member

Post by krick »

Great time, great people, and great location! Thanks Shari and Jeff for making it happen.
just_bassics
Intermediate Member

Post by just_bassics »

86kubicki wrote:Of course on the downside I now have serious RAS for a 4002...
Oh, yea, that too! I never "got" the 4002, but seeing is believing and playing is probably going to be quite expensive some day...

Return to “Rickenbacker Conferences and Confluences”